Author Topic: Alpha-gal  (Read 4513 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Alpha-gal
« on: June 15, 2014, 08:58:06 am »
Just recently learned of this. My understanding is around 2007 a doctor discovered and labeled an allergy that you can get from a TICK bite as Alphagal. Unlike Rocky Mtn. fever and Lyme's disease this is an allergy to meat or mammal meat. Several hours after eating mammal meat you will break out in hives and swell. A few have died from anaphylactic shock as a result. Takes several hours after eating meat to start showing symptoms. The guy I met that had it carried an epipen, which he says stops the reaction.
Crazy stuff right there and it is from a tick bite... :o
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Zuma

Re: Alpha-gal
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:50:22 am »
Great info. I need to learn more. Sounds like the shingles you are supposed to get from chicken pox.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 03:30:26 pm »
This is much more serious than shingles, this can be potentially life threatening from something as simple as a cook adding a bit of beef stock to a pot of vegetable soup.  Yikes!

I recommend everyone read up on this one.  Never liked ticks and now I really got a problem with the little suckers!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »

Man, that  Alpha Gal, sounds like a bitch! ::) :P

Wayne

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 10:47:08 pm »
When we were out to a swanky hotel bar to watch the Belmont,
I met a nice lady.
Friend of a friend. Anyway she, for some reason said to me,
 she is Alfa and likes Alfa males.
I said you will probabaly get bit by a tick before something like that happens.
really, Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »
Interesting. Don't know about anyone else, but tick bites have been itching months after the initial bite. Never had this problem until last year. Seem to be more potent these days

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline SA

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »
I know this post is a little old , but I haven't been on here in a while . Just did a little search and this popped up. I was diagnosed a few months ago with this allergy it is very real and can change your life! I've have anywhere from stomach cramps too anaphylaxis and even shock, it just about killed me. It comes from the bite of the lone star tick. I am outdoors everyday just like a lot of folks on here ,it's mostly in se states (apparently oklahoma too) . It's supposed to go away in a few years(no beef , pork or dairy for a while) so it's just fins and feathers for me . Maybe I can shoot me a turkey this year :)
Shawn Acker

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:43:20 pm »
Was wondering where ya been, Sean.  Sorry to hear about your bad luck. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SA

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 11:26:03 pm »
Thanks jw , how have you been? Honestly I've lost twenty pounds and feel pretty good , just have to watch what I eat pretty close . How's that bow holding up ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:44:16 am by sa »
Shawn Acker

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 07:51:13 am »
Hope them suckers stay away from me !
Take care of yourself SA
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 10:39:00 am »
Hmmm..... You guys are describing almost verbatem what Darla's been goin thru the last several months... They did test for tick born disease on her and they came back clean but its worth checkin into again..... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:45:52 am »
Koan - Not sure if this is classified as a disease. It is an allergy brought on by the bite. It might be worth mentioning it specifically.

Tracy - I do the same thing. they used to not bother me but now the bite area turns red and itches for sometimes a few months. If I ever miss a tick when I get home I will find it in a day or 2 when I start itching. I used to not do that either.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 12:36:33 pm »
Koan, I know a guy who has the allergy and his doctor did not detect it until his third visit. The only reason they found it that time is that he specifically asked the doctor to look for it. I guess it's not an easy thing to diagnose.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 01:04:44 pm »
Im callin the Dr. after work today. Thanks guys! Its definately worth lookin into... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline SA

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 02:16:53 pm »
Ya koan it took me several months and dr visits before I stumbled across an article about it and put two and two together. Let us know what you find out there's more to it than just stopping red meat , pork and dairy , pills with gelatin, lactose are bad even cooking on the same grill can cross contaminate chicken or whatever. I'm amazed at how many things have meat byproducts in them.
Shawn Acker