Author Topic: Spining bamboo garden stakes  (Read 2598 times)

Don Case

Spining bamboo garden stakes
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:27:36 pm »
Is it OK to roughly spine the bamboo before straightening? I don't see any point in wasting time straightening them if they are going to stay as garden stakes.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Spining bamboo garden stakes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:31:45 pm »
I'm no expert but I wouldn't think it wouldn't hurt to kinda sort them out. That being said the spine could change a little when you straighten them depending on how much heat you have to use to get them straight. Also if you decid to heat treat them too. JMO Patrick.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:03:20 am by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:23:56 am »
When you find out how to spine one that is not straightened, let me know?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 11:49:17 am »
I always spine mine before straightening.  I sort them by 30's, 40's, 50's and so on.  After I straighten the shafts I'll check the spine again and sort them into smaller groups. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:25:59 pm »
I never spine cane except to find the stiff side that goes against the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »
When you find out how to spine one that is not straightened, let me know?

If you're referring to them twisting in the spine tester, I just hold them so they don't twist. After I've done a few dozen I imagine I'll be able to guess close enough just by flexing them. Right now I'm just trying to eliminate the real limp and real stiff ones. I don't see the point in straightening them.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:34:11 pm »
I never spine cane except to find the stiff side that goes against the bow.

Why would cane be exempt from spinning?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:07 pm »
Because of the natural taper and it's fast recovery, cane is more tolerant of bow weights, as much as 10# to 20#. When making hill cane arrows I usually cut them at 30"(for my 26" draw) with about 5/16" nock end and 3/8" point end. These arrows seem to fly well from 45# to 60#+ bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 02:59:57 pm »
Ive found that boo or cane can be spined by comparing each ends diameter. Grab one that is done and flys well, then match it up with your raw shafts. Ill bet they all fly good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 07:13:56 pm »
What Pat and Pearly said. I just finished a set of tomato stakes that differ in weight by up to 10# and still shoot remarkably straight, fast and remarkably quiet from the same bow.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!