Author Topic: Finishing question  (Read 2033 times)

Offline warpath

Finishing question
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:21:01 pm »
  Has anyone out there ever used bear oil for finishing shafts? I've used beeswax and the various wood oils out there with great success. Got all the rendered bear fat and looking for more uses for it.

G

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Finishing question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:39:19 pm »
I've been wondering the same thing I've got some also.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 11:26:07 pm »
I've used it for shafts but you either have to fletch the shafts first or tie on your feathers. I've got a yew bow that was finished with hand rubbed bear fat. It's good stuff. I hear it makes good biscuits too.  ;D  I have also made leather dressing with a mix of bear fat, bees wax and pine pitch. Works pretty good!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:36:03 pm »
After fletching...sure.  Before fletching, not so good.  Couldn't get any glue to stick to 'em!  :o
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline warpath

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:29:29 am »
O.K. then I'll give it a try. Mostly use it for steaks, (buffalo or venison,) and is great on squirrel, muskrat, and groundhog. I've finished bows with it before and now I'm going to finish some dogwood shafts with it. Post fletching as you guys mentioned. Thanks Pat B and JW!! :)

G

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:39 pm »
mix it 1/2 & 1/2 ish with bees wax for musket patch grease,
I talked to a gal that told me you keep rendering it down to an almost waxy substance for boot grease. I need to talk to her to get times / temps that type of thing, couldn't find my son a bear this spring, so I never got to make any yet. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 04:38:46 pm »

Excellent for biscuits, and especially for light flaky pastry, and pie crusts! ;)

Wayne