Author Topic: Question on a recurve.  (Read 18351 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Question on a recurve.
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:08 am »
I was playin around with some steam the other day - got both limbs curved without incident, but of course their not in line with each other (first attempt :)). I steamed toward the end to take out some of the twist and the limb just went straight on me again, I went ahead and clamped the curve back in but am left with a bad twist. Qestion: Unless you steam and clamp the entire bow at one time, what's the best way to adjust this stuff? dry heat, or would you try to localize steam just where you want to work on it?

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question on a recurve.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:12:21 am »
Use dry heat. Clamp the bow in a vice, heat the wood and hand crank it just past straight and whistle DIXIE with all chorsus. By then you should be able to let it go. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:36:32 pm »
Dry heat and whistle Dixie - I'll try that ;D. Something I forgot to mention, both ends that I steamed checked all over the back as it dried - is that standard, gonna be any problem ya think?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 04:51:16 pm »
the problem is that the coors box is empty ;D  either you empied it while making the bow or ran out before you started.  :P

but really , i agree with Pat, but im not sure if you have to whistle all the chorus's- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 05:23:56 pm »
I'd do as Pat said, but I'd have a cold one and skip the whistlein  ;D
The checks are par for the course, they shouldn't be a problem as long as they don't run out.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:43:10 pm »
Cowboy, Ryano is the expert on this...and hopefully he'll reply this afternoon. I agree with Pat about using dry heat to remove the propellar. It is manditory that those tips are inline with each other to the best of your ability, so it may take several tweaking sessions to get them in line. To begin with leave your tips wide, allows you some flexibility during tillering to cut your string grooves deeper to one side if need be to line up. If you can use the same form you used when steaming, you might can do some tweaking with the dry heat and shimming with a wedge shaped shim to rotate the limb in the desired direction instead of holding by hand. Just be careful of sharp edges on any shim you use as it can dig into the back of your bow. Don't over tighten the clamp...getting the wood rotated where you want is enough, no need to over tighten.

How long did you steam the wood, might have come into play with the checking on the back. Also how long had the wood been seasoned? Believe it or not, steaming actually removes moisture from the wood instead of the opposite, that's why it causes checking. I think a highly seasoned stave would be more likely to check then a stave with a higher moisture content.

Getting that sucker tillered to brace involves putting it in a vise and bending one limb at a time with both hands on the tips. Try to get the limbs bending even as possible and the outer 1/3 of the limb just beginning to open up some. When you put the bow in a tillering tree saddle, you'll have to either clamp it or tie into place to keep it from rotating if still on the long string. Just some info I've learned, hopefully it will help you get started. Again Ryan, Marc and Sawfiler are three who have made exception recurves that I've seen. I'm sure there are others, they just don't come to mind right now. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:27:34 pm »
Thanks: Ryan, Dano, Greg. Good thing about cold one's is their's always reserves if ya run short ;D. Glad to hear the checks won't be a problem - their's a bunch of em but their tiny and don't run out that I can tell.
 The stave had been curing in the house for the better part of a year at the size it's at right now, so was pretty dry I'd imagine. I steamed both ends for a good solid hour before yanking it out and clamping as fast as me and the other drunk could ;D. This one is gonna be a learning experience for sure - any advice is welcome :).

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 10:26:31 pm »
I would clamp the handle in the vise heat the limb below the main bend in the recurve with a heat gun and hang something heavy from the tip of the bow until it bends just past straight and let it cool like that. Good luck! You picked a difficult piece of wood to work with for your first recurve.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 10:36:58 pm »
Thanks Ryano! I watched that being done at OJAM last year, and on Justin's take down buildalong. Will givver a try and probably others, I imagine It'll take several session's to get everything lined up half way close. Ran out of time at home, will keep ya'll posted on how she come's along next week :).

gene roberts

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:41:23 pm »
No clue sorry

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 01:28:35 am »
I would also suggest using the heat gun and getting it as straight as you can before you recurve the tips. Just a little sideways bend is really magnified once you curve the tips.
  I use a form as long as the limb plus the handle. I clamp the limb tip on the center line of the form and as I heat and bend it I try to keep the limb centered down the middle, especially around the bend and at the handle. I still have to adjust them but their usually pretty close.  Shannon
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »
I'm going to build another form and do it that way next time Shannon - thanks. I got it mostly aligned and the twist out today with dry heat - don't remember whistling Dixie but did say a silent prayer :). So now I have the little checks on the back and also a crack in the belly about mid limb on one end. Next I'll fill all the cracks with super glue and start tillering.
 This isn't a build along - more like a trip along :D. Just keeping ya'll up to date as I go and maybe get some good solid advice for the next one. Thinking about tying this one up backward some and sinew backing later.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 07:03:46 pm »
Interesting Paul. Keep us posted.  Sometimes a build along with no problems isn't as informative as one with issues that we all have to deal with at some point in our bow building career. If you don't want to call it a "build along", how about a "teach along".  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 07:13:11 pm »
Looks like you got the alignment close now Paul. You didnt heat the back of the bow with the heat gun did you? It kind looks chared on the back in that picture.......You should never put that much heat on the back of the bow only the belly.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 07:41:54 pm »
That's gonna be a wicked bow, I like those curves.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.