Author Topic: cracking not straightening  (Read 5509 times)

Offline GaryR

cracking not straightening
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:22:32 pm »
I have been inactive for some time as my workshop had become non-existent. I now have work space and have come back to my bamboo shafts. I've been trying to straighten using my heat gun. It's working but I'm getting creases near the node. On one, it broke at the crease. Are they too dry, they were cut maybe 2 years ago but stored well. Am I not heating enough before bending? Should I use wet heat? Please help an inexperienced craftsman.
Gary

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: cracking not straightening
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 12:24:11 am »
I doubt its too dry. I made a cane arrow not long go with a cane that was cut in 2006. Almost sounds like the cane was immature when you cut it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:04:51 am »
I doubt its too dry. I made a cane arrow not long go with a cane that was cut in 2006. Almost sounds like the cane was immature when you cut it.

Ditto to what Pat said.
 Did it still have green culms on it, when you cut it?  It should have no culms, or dead and dry old ones. ;)

Wayne

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:09:51 pm »
I have overheated some in the past and broke them at the node. I'm talking burnt not just brown.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:27:08 pm »
Maybe they were too immature. I remember hearing that if they were immature they would shrivel when dry, which did not happen. maybe I need to try some others.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:33:21 pm »

They could have been just under age.  How are you straightening them?  If you are getting lengthwise wrinkles, it is immature cane, or boo.  I have some Japanese arrow boo, that is just a bit shy of being mature, and it has slight, barely noticeable winkles.  It is fairly straight, but would only take a little straightening, to make an arrow.  It is a bit under spined, but would make a good kids arrow, or a target arrow, for a light weight bow.  I haven't decided what to do with it yet.  I have it in my truck at the moment.  I have had it in my truck for about two or three years now.

Wayne

Offline GaryR

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 05:43:32 pm »
How are you straightening them?  If you are getting lengthwise wrinkles, it is immature cane, or boo.
Straightening with heat gun. No wrinkles running the length.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 05:50:54 pm »
Did it still have green culms on it, when you cut it?[/quote]

Not really sure, I'm not at all experienced picking out the best shafts. As, you can see though I'm learning, just doing it the hard way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »
When choosing native cane pick only the ones that the paper like sheath is gone or greatly deteriorated. Also when immature cane dries it will have longitudinal wrinkles. Mature cane has a smooth surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 08:13:52 pm »
IMO................ I think that it's not hot enough and your bending it too much at one time.  Try lower slower heat and less bending more times to get them straight.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 11:44:54 pm »
If heated properly, cane probably be tied in a knot. It is very flexible when heated.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 11:58:07 pm »
I agree with Pat, when it comes to "cane".  Got some bamboo from Eddie @ the Classic and if it's not hot enough it will crack across the shaft on the tension side when bending.  After that happens the shaft becomes very weak and worthless.  :(   took me a few shafts to get the hang it.  :-[  By the way Tonkin makes some very nice shafts.  Gona have to try some of the hill cane you talk about one of these days.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline GaryR

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:50:08 pm »
When choosing native cane pick only the ones that the paper like sheath is gone or greatly deteriorated. Also when immature cane dries it will have longitudinal wrinkles. Mature cane has a smooth surface.

Just got back from collecting another dozen shafts. Looked around for a good 10 minutes to see if I could tell the difference between paper culms on and off. Looks like they were all off. I was able to find some that had a little bit of paper still hanging on, but it was nearly all gone. Thing is, thats what I experienced last time I cut some. Does bigger generally mean mature?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 03:35:07 pm »
Cane grows to its ultimate size the first year then matures(walls get thicker) the next year or two.

gutpile

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:23:26 am »
sounds like he is getting it too hot....JM2C...with a heat gun it only takes a few seconds to get it up to temp..you may have the gun too close also....gut