Author Topic: hunting with tie on fletchins  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Stixnstones

hunting with tie on fletchins
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:15:12 am »
just started tiein on fletching on viburnum and love the whole process but wonderin aboot the buzz/whistle for hunting. i know it has worked for thousands o years but just wanted to get some feedback from experienced folks. thanx guys
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hunting with tie on fletchins
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 01:46:37 pm »
The shape of the feathers can make noise. I've found that fletching with a point on the rear will sing. Slightly rounding them will help reduce the noise.
 If the feather noise isn't too bad I don't think it startles deer. They hear birds fluttering all the time. If the deer is spooked already that's a different story.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:18 pm »
  Stixnstones, by reading your post I'm assuming you only tied the ends of the fletching down? For me I noticed more noise coming from my fletching when I started tying ends only...If you look closely at the photos you will see a small sinew thread in the center of my fletch that holds the fletch tightly to the shaft which reduced noise greatly! Once I started using this easy method I stopped hearing any noticeable noise...
                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:57:32 pm »
actually Don i did mean a full wrap on fletchins from bottom to top but after seein yours me like that idea better, thank u sir
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:02:01 pm »
I've done like Don on some of my noisier two fletch arrows also, works well to quiet 'em down.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 02:42:41 pm »
I like the way the Comanches tied their fletchings down, the would tie the base of the feathers under the knock facing backwards then pull the feather back down toward the shaft very tight and then secure. They would then take a fine piece of sinew and reinforce the top wrapping and go down into the feather for an inch or so.the feathers stayed very secure and no glue was needed. Works great.
E