Author Topic: bear medicine  (Read 1899 times)

Offline steve b.

bear medicine
« on: July 17, 2014, 06:19:10 pm »
I've been toying with trade points for big game hunting for a few years now,  wanting to be able to make my own "broadheads".    I've had problems for one reason or another getting exactly what  I wanted---heavy, single bevel, tanto, sharpens easily, somewhat medieval looking, and cheap.

I did a trade with killrduck and he, being a knife-maker, was able to make me a pile of these high quality blades.   I'm really proud of these.  They are more than ideal and I could not be happier.
They weigh between 285-370 grns.   So for the first time I can make extreme FOC wood arrows (22%) that weigh 800-900 grns.  They fly great and penetrate deep.
I threw these few together for early season deer/elk scouting since bear season is open then. 

I hate the candy cane fletching but my aging eyes require some white fletching and all I had to go with them was the red.  My arrows are like hammers to me--ugly but functional and totally necessary.  I hope to make a nice looking set some day.

Offline GaryR

Re: bear medicine
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »
they look good to me, and who cares what they look like, it isn't a fashion show, if they give results, they are they best

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:47:35 pm »
Look like they should get the job done.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:58 pm »
Man those are meant to kill at that weight, hope you get to put a couple in a bear, deer or elk Steve. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:01:48 am »
     Well, they certainly look jam up to my "aging eyes!"  But I would add a little more wrapping up the shaft, from behind the point.  Other than that, they look like they will get the job done quite well!  Nice job.  Nice points, and good looking hound also. ;)

Wayne
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:07:16 am by stickbender »