Author Topic: What a collection!  (Read 1637 times)

Stringman

What a collection!
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:52:44 am »
Took a road trip down to SW Missouri to pick up some rock and this ol boy invited me in to see his collection. He's been pickin these points up around his place for a long time.

Then he lead us into his back room and showed us another wall display. The size and quality of these points is just astounding to me!

Afterwards, he picked up a bag from the floor and dug thru it to reveal several large stone axes. Didn't get any pictures of those. Two with full grooves and one had grooves only on top and bottom. I was just honored to see it and hear some of the stories of these amazing finds.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: What a collection!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:30:43 pm »
A lot of history there and hunting stories told...Thanks for sharing
                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:31:49 pm »
Nice collection.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »
That's awesome!  I got to visit a collection of points in GA and the guy's walls were jut full of displays like that.  And in the corner were buckets with thousands of points that he hadn't displayed.  It was mind blowing.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25:37 pm »
  Back when I was a kid growing up in a small town a neighbor took me up to the attic/storage area of his garage... He had about a dozen of the old Coke crates that carried 6 packs of bottles on shelves between the rafters , all filled to the point of overflowing with points, blades, adzes, & a few 3/4 grooved axes, bone pieces, antler, animal teeth, brass uniform buttons, shoe buckles, etc...   I asked him many times over the years what he was going to do with them...  He`d picked them up as he plowed over about 40 years so that he wouldn`t get flats on the tractor...  He said they didn`t cost him anything to set there & he figured his kids would find something to do with them after he was gone...   Long story short, I lost track of Mr. Matherly for several years, finding out after the fact that he`d passed  on...   Checking with the family later (after the estate auction unfortunately), no one remembered what had happened to their Dad`s rock collection but they were all sure that there was nothing like that sold at the auction... I checked the attic but there was only dust & cobwebs up there by then.... all his old tools, his Dad`s tools as well, "spare parts"- Mdl. A& T stuff,  tractor parts, a complete, "like new" interior- wrapped in brown paper to keep the dust off..for his  68 Impala drag race car (taken out to save weight in `71 or`72 & up there ever since) " , "future projects" etc. were gone   If you know where an old collection is hidden/ stashed for the future by the owner, keep in touch with him/her, your luck may be better than mine was.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:50:05 pm »
AWESOME!  8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr