Author Topic: Red maple?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Red maple?
« on: August 02, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »
Have any of you guys made bows out of red maple? I have about ten staves cut and spit. I know its not as hard as sugar maple. I just want to know if I'm wasting my time before I get started. Any input is appreciated

Offline Ross.m.

Re: Red maple?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 05:23:53 pm »
Red maple was my first bow attempt a few months ago. I made a 55 inch bend in the handle pyramid. I did a lot of things wrong with it as I expected to, but I got a 51" string on it and it looked like it was gonna shoot, but when I started tillering and got it to about 18" draw I heard a crack and saw splintering right near the handle. That was mostly my fault because the handle was a bit too thin, but I was still dissapointed at how fast it failed. I wouldn't say it would be a waste of your time, but you would have to make a very well tillered and designed bow in order for it to succeed
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:28:41 pm by Ross.m. »

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
I guess I have never seen a bend through the handle pyramid style bow. I build stiff handle bows but the bendy handles I have seen have parallel limbs right through the handle and only taper near the tips.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:57:43 am »
I've made a few and gave a dozen RM staves to my class of youngsters who all made successful bows on there first tries. These were highly crowned sapling bows in pyramid shape with stiff handles. bows were  about 66" long, 25# at 26".

The bows were about 1-1/4" wide at the fades and 1/2" wide at the tips.

For a 40# bow, make it 2-1/2" wide at the fades--DON'T cut a shelf in it! And don't flatten the back.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Ross.m.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 01:08:04 am »
I guess I have never seen a bend through the handle pyramid style bow. I build stiff handle bows but the bendy handles I have seen have parallel limbs right through the handle and only taper near the tips.

There's probably a reason you've never seen one..... I'm sure not gonna try it again!

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 10:43:06 am »
Can't comment on Red Maple, but I have made quite a few bendy pyramids. Actually it is my favorite design.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 05:10:58 pm »
Huh yeah I am no expert on bendy handles or pyramids for that matter!

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 07:30:05 am »
I've done a kids bow with it 4+ years ago,and its still taking a beating from my kids...I'm sure ya can make an adult bow with it if designed n tillered correctly(key words)...and plenty of bendy handle pyramid bows have been posted around here...look around more often guys at other stuff..ya might learn something  :)