Author Topic: Deep check in a Yew stave  (Read 2059 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Deep check in a Yew stave
« on: August 04, 2014, 04:55:36 pm »
just recently started getting into some yew i cut last winter.
Was starting to get into this stave and i noticed a pretty huge check coming out a huge knot.
The knot would probably end up going through the bow, but these checks scared me a bit.
Im only in an hour on this wood, and it didnt cost me anything except a little sweat.
Seems a bit to deep to fill with super glue, should i call it off?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Deep check in a Yew stave
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:00:05 pm »
Looks like there may be an ELB lying along the right edge of that stave and avoiding that big knot.
As it's fairly near the end hopefully a slim bow tip will miss it.
There's a knot on that left side too. I'd saw off the left edge, just left of the check/split and see what you can see. You can then reduce it a little at a time and see what good wood you have.
Maybe see if you can salvage a billet from the left side.
A nice fresh clean cut across the very end would help you see what you've got.
 It sort of looks like maybe it has some twist (could just be the shape... can't really tell from here ::) ), but I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd saw it don't try and split it.
That's just my guess, other opinions are also available :laugh:
Del
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:05:51 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »
That's not a crack(knot ?) you can fill with super glue. I would either incorporate it in a limb, or as Del said, skirt it on the right side and make an ELB or narrow ALB.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »
I find it difficult to give advice about these kind of situations. I would need to have the piece of wood in my hands to judge it and visualize where the potential bow would be hiding. There are just too many factors that come into play with these kind of tricky things in yew. How much heartwood do you have? How thick is the sapwood? Is there a knot located underneath that crack? How wide is the solid wood on either side of the crack? Where are other knots located? What does the belly side look like? How long is the stave?
I think I agree with Del for the most part. His advice is sound, but still gives you plenty of possible options to choose from... There's just no way to tell for sure.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:25:29 pm »
Thanks guys, I know what your saying, no way to tell for sure. Ill probably do as del says and get a ELB out of it. Cheers