Author Topic: Arrow and broad head questions for whitetail  (Read 7008 times)

Offline Brik

Arrow and broad head questions for whitetail
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:34:06 pm »
Hello all. This is my first time posting here and also my first year I'll be hunting with a primitive bow. First off I have shoulder problems and can't really draw more than 40 lbs. My bow is 40lbs at 28 but I draw 26.5 after talking to the Boyer who made the bow we figured I was drawing 36lbs. I have been doing lots of research and found that plenty have killed deer with this weight but I just want to make sure it is as humane as possible. I. Currently using beman center shot 600 at 29 inches. I get really good groups to 20 yards. My questions are first is this arrow going to be good enough to shoot a dee @ 20 or less yards or should I go with with something like victories vap arrows or Easton's carbon injections to get better penetration? My 2nd question was about broad heads. I'm leaning to the silver flame broad heads bc from my research they are very very good but at my draw weight is it possible to shoot a single bevel broad head like the werewolves and would a single bevel be better or worse for my poundage? I just want to make sure it is as humane as possible and I don't lose a deer. Thank you all in advance.     

Offline steve.b

Re: Arrow and broad head questions for whitetail
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:25:42 pm »
You've left a lot of variables out. What is the design of your bow? What is the Force curve when you draw it. Different designs store more/less energy for a given final draw length, some are more efficient than others.

How much energy you store in the bow, and how much is imparted to the arrow on release based on the bows efficiency will all determine how much kenetic energy the arrow has when it leaves the bow. It's perfectly possible to build a bow that imparts half the kenetic energy of differently designed bow with the same draw weight.

In my opinion your best bet is to measure the arrow speed you are getting with the equipment you intend to use, and possibly measure penetration as well. To me and I'm not an expert, that poundage, at that draw weight is at the lower limit, so you will be depending on shot placement, go with the highest sectional density you can for your arrow, meaning the smallest head providing the least resistance while still cutting a blood channel you can get.

There are others on this board that have better practical experience so they may give you different advise.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:59:11 pm »
36 lbs is enough to kill deer reliably if your bow is made well and shoots fast. And the arrows you mention are all going to do the job.  I would stick with what you know and not go with new equipment.  And I would use a breadhead with as much blade as possible.  The silver flame broadheads should be fine, although I've never used anything fancier than handmade broadheads, so I'm not an expert of the modern stuff.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Brik

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »
Steve half the stuff you asked I can not answer but I did just take some speed measurements with different weight arrows. With 373g arrow I'm getting 169-170fps with 383g arrow I'm getting 165-167fps and finally with a 413g arrow I'm getting 163fps. Now I have only shoot compounds till I hurt my shoulder so I have no idea on what these speeds mean or if they are terrible or average for my draw and poundage. Thanks to all the replies so far and those yet to come.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:47:04 pm »
Go with your heaviest arrows as long as they and you shoot well together. Learn the trajectory of those arrows by practicing only with them at different unknown hunting distances. Get your form perfect, your concentration honed and most importantly, get your broadheads scary sharp! Confidence, shot placement and scary sharp broadheads kill game.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:35:24 am »
Like Pat said,heavy arrow,good 2 blade broad head,sharp as possible,and you won't have any trouble it you hit what you are
supposed to,a few inches behind the shoulder about mid body up and down will do the trick every time. ;) I think you may be over thinking it a bit,you set up is fine. Not sure on the heads you are talking about but unless they are huge and dull they should work fine. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Brik

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »
Pappy that is not the first time I have been accused of over thinking something. One thing I am sure of is my sharpening skills. I can get envy thing razor sharp. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 05:41:14 am »
Get um sharp, pick a spot and keep the shots as close as possible and you will have no trouble with the set up you described.  :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:07 am »
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, but bears consideration is your arrow flight. Make sure they are flying like darts. With good arrow flight you will need very little in the way of fletching and your penetration won't suffer from excess friction upon contact. Perfect arrow flight comes from arrows tuned to your bow.

However, with this setup I would not feel comfortable taking a shot over 15 yds. You are using the lowest limits of the hunting setup and you probably should adjust accordingly. Force yourself to get close and shoot only at relaxed deer/game. Have fun!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 03:59:16 pm »
sounds like the bow shoots hard,, good advice from above,, I too would like a 15 yard shot to start with,,, if you gain confidence and hit where you want at that range,, then extend if you like,,,,but 15 yards eliminates some variables(mostly my shooting under pressure) ,,,, I always liked a little closer shot to account for me being a little nervous,,

Offline Brik

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:02:22 pm »
Thanks all for the advice and replies.
What do you mean sounds like the bow is shooting hard I don't understand what that means thanks.

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:45 am »
For a 38# bow to be pushin an arrow 160 fps is either a typo or an extremely hard shootin bow. IMO

Offline Brik

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:26 am »
After reading your post I took the chrono out again and shot about 2 dozen arrows through it and they were all 165-170 range.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 11:54:58 am »
Astounding numbers. Probably a world record actually.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 09:51:35 pm »
Astounding numbers. Probably a world record actually.

And ......I thought you could see a good fisherman from a distance... ::)  ???
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking