Author Topic: What's your favorite feather shape?  (Read 7228 times)

Offline osage outlaw

What's your favorite feather shape?
« on: August 09, 2014, 11:18:44 pm »
Parabolic?  Shield?  Banana?  Something custom?   Just wondering what shapes people prefer.  If you like something different can you post a picture?  Does it matter if the arrow is for hunting or target?  I'm working on a set of arrows and was thinking about trying something new.  I normally use the parabolic shape.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What's your favorite feather shape?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 11:44:38 pm »
Clint, this is what I use. It is my custom burn...

...and these are the same burn with both 2 and 3 fletch...

I adjust the height from time to time depending on the arrows. You can always make them shorter or change the burn pattern with a feather burner.
 I use the same arrows for everything, hunting, target or whatever. Less mental adjustments that way and the fewer the better for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:26:26 am »
5 1/2" High back Shield cuts go on all My Arras. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:45:43 pm »
love a 5.5 shield but have using the pope n young style lately with 5.5 feather , had some high parabolic a few years back that worked great and like Pat i always keep same length n height on hunting n practice
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:12:45 pm »
Turkey primary's. 1/2 " tall 8" long.  I love the way they fly!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:50:28 am »
I use them all from 3" to 5.5" and hand cut to whatever they come out at. My favorite are the feathers that stay stuck to my shafts for good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:49:38 am »
I use anywhere from5"-3" feathers. I prefer the look of a rectangular cut and I am a little bit fond of the bannanna cut but most of the time I end up using parabolic because it's available
I like free stuff.

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »
I mostly use 4" shield, but have used other shapes
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:03:35 pm »
I like the looks of this cut. I only made one as a trade arrow for Bowtarist, never shot it myself so not sure how it flies
or if it is quiet or not. Just a freehanded cut with scissors, no pattern used.  Want to try one for myself next time I'm in the arrow making mood.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 12:50:55 am »
I like them as short as I can get them and fairly flat edged with maybe a little arc. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:09:36 am »
Just finished seven arrows for a short horse bow. I favor straight turkey feathers of at least 6" in length. These are 6 1/2" and 3/4" in height. I like a little helical placement. I've recently been using a Pope and Young cut as shown by the two arrows in the second image below. These are also attached with a subtle amount of helical orientation.
Because I shoot a non-center cut selfbow , favor a heavy point with most of my shots typically close, I like the idea of the fletching grabbing a lot of air quickly so as to straighten the arrow out as quickly as possible. For any significant distance, these arrows would, of course, provide too much drag and be a poor choice.
Recently investigated a number of Plains Indian arrows, primarily Sioux, Cheyenne, Kiowa, and Arapaho. The 20 or so arrows I examined (via print media), they typically ranged in length from. 5 1/2" to 7", with an average length of. 6  1/2". Most all were cropped short, typically about 3/8", and placed in straight alignment with the shaft.
Perhaps our old friend Saxton Pope said it best with his final few words on the subject: "Mr. Arthur Young cuts his feathers in a long parabola shape. [but] These things are largely a matter of taste".

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 11:19:18 am »
I've tried them all and found 5" shield cut to be best for me. I used to use a 5.5" banana and didn't like them in the long run. I had a bunch of those leftover, they were black in color, so I sold them to the Hopi who needed black fletching for ceremonial arrows and the local archery shop had ran out of black fletching. They were glad to get them and I got some shield cut fletching.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...