Author Topic: Thumb wrestling and Orangutan would be easier...  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Thumb wrestling and Orangutan would be easier...
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:28:10 pm »
I just got a bow blank put into my new caul.  I went with the cross-wise cut inner tube 'rubber-bands' on Oak dowel pegs.  By the time I got all of those bands stretched over the pegs my hands were very ready to call it a day!

OneBow

Offline tronman

Re: Thumb wrestling and Orangutan would be easier...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:25:59 pm »
And what are you glueing up?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:32:45 pm »
Very nice Eric!  Can't wait to check it out!  Next time use 4 hands! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:05:18 am »
Looks cool.... is it done yet.. is it done yet?
Del
(is it done yet?  :laugh: )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:12 am »

Looks like a something backed Eastern Red Cedar to me...possibly hickory? Hard to see thru the cellophane wrap...

Offline tronman

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:46:34 am »

Looks like a something backed Eastern Red Cedar to me...possibly hickory? Hard to see thru the cellophane wrap...

Whatever it is it appears a bunch of hard work went into this bow already and hope it turns out.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:03:14 am »
BlackHawk is correct.  The belly wood is ERC.  There is a middle lam of Poplar, with 2 super thin power lams of the same.  ...and the backing is Black Locust.

I can't wait to see if anything good comes of it.  The caul itself took longer to put together than some bows I've built!!!

OneBow

Offline autologus

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:46 am »
It should be ultra light.  I sure am interested in this because I was wanting to make a hickory backed ERC.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:26:39 am »
Never heard of anyone making a black locust backed erc with poplar in the middle before..you might be the first...lol  :laugh:  let us know how it works out for ya...I picked up some locust lumber from a local mill last year,but I wouldn't use it for backing strips...tough to find locust lumber ,and let alone good enough for backing strips...what orientation is it? Chased ring? Flat sawn,rift,quarter sawn? Jus curious...hopefully the locust isn't too strong for the erc...its strong tension wood..I'd maybe think about trapping it some? Need to know more stats and info tho...please do tell

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 01:16:16 pm »
We got tons of BL around. Maybe I'll keep my eye out for a good board for ya Chris. I'd love to see what ya could do with it
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
Your form looks really good.  Instead of using individual bands, would it be easier to use one length of rubber.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »
Your form looks really good.  Instead of using individual bands, would it be easier to use one length of rubber.?
One length is a pain as it gets tangled and twisted etc, mind that's what I use, but i can see the attraction of loads of little uns.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to this.  Here's the specs on this bow blank to this point.  It is something of an 'Experimental' effort.  If it had a government code name, it'd have to be "BLOPOPERC" for Black Locust - Poplar - Eastern Red Cedar.  :)

The blank is 69 inches tip to tip (for now)
The backing LAM is Quartersawn Black Locust at a 1/4 inch think.  (...too thick, I know)
The core LAM is Flatsawn Poplar at 1/8 inch thick and is tapered down to nil at the tips
The belly LAM is Quartersawn ERC at 5/8 (actually closer to 11/16ths for those of you with calipers for eyeballs) inch thick.
There are 2 power LAMs in the handle section, each made of 1/8 inch Poplar.  One is 9 inches and the other is 16.  Both are tapered out to nil on the ends.
I have carved out a pyramid bow-ish design that is 1 and 1/8 inches at the fades, stays parallel for 6 inches and then graduates down to 1/2 inch tips.  The tips will likely get overlaid and narrowed considerably later on.  I'm concerned about having to reduce the blank to 1 1/8 at the fades and would have liked to have kept more width but there were some imperfections in the wood that had to be excised. 

I plan to trap the back of the BL to keep it from being too much for the ERC.  I think I'll leave most of the full 1/4 inch thickness down the middle of the back, but crown it out steeply toward the edges of the bow.  Right now it's all very square though - like the boards it came from.  :)  Off the form it came out with 2 1/2 inches reflex on one tip and 3 3/4 inches reflex on the other.  Not sure why on that - since the caul is evenly curved, ...but I've learned that wood does what it wants to do sometimes and not much else.

Here's the pix...

OneBow

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:53:37 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Thumb wrestling and Orangutan would be easier... (added Pix and Spex)
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 12:26:55 pm »
Here's a few more...  :o

OneBow

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »
Looks cool! I bet it will be a really pretty bow. I have never heard of a black locust backing either. Can't wait to see the finished bow!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair