Author Topic: Opinions wanted on Stave...  (Read 6891 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Opinions wanted on Stave...
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:37 pm »
you talking about Texas Huisache ?   It;s a member of the Mimosa Family...and I didn't think that it was good for anything but burning for Firewood....grows way too fast to be too strong...Good luck and lets see some Bow from it....if Dana can build one from Tag Alder...you can too from Acacia
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Tombow

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 09:00:49 am »
Destructo - I was like you, everyone HATES Ouisache (thorns). BUT, when it grows into a tree, it is the hardest, heaviest wood you can imagine and nearly unbreakable. Doesn't care where the rings are either... I'm tinkering with some now. 

Offline aguilia

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 10:54:44 am »
In my research of Texas Native tribes, I read somewhere that mesquite root was used for bows?

Growing up in San Antonio, Texas, I met many old residents of the San Antonio Indian missions. I remember asking one of them what wood was used to make a bow. He stated that you would use huisache wood after it had been smoked and dried.................