Author Topic: ?'s about Prehistoric European points  (Read 2098 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
?'s about Prehistoric European points
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:22:19 pm »
Hey guys, I haven't posted in this discussion area before because I have yet to flint knap (I'm going to), but I had a question about the points used in Prehistoric Europe. These points were discussed in Paul Comstock's chapter on 'Ancient European Bows' and he mentioned that unlike the Americas, the bifaced stone arrowhead was a late development and that arrowheads made of retouched stone flakes were used. My question is, how efficient are these points? Could I use them for hunting or would that not be in the best interest of ethical hunting practices? Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline nclonghunter

Re: ?'s about Prehistoric European points
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:35:05 pm »
Not certain what retouched points are, but I will guess it is a large flake that is only edge flaked. As long as it has a good point tapering back with sharp edge flakes it will take any game animal.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:02:17 am »
I have some English flint and would like to duplicate some old English points.
Do you have any pictures you could post?
These are some really unusual flake points from Georgia.
I found 50 in one afternoon. They must have done the job they were designed for.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:50:40 am »
I've found several points in Florida that were flakes just worked on one side or just sharpened and made into a triangle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:19:43 am »
Not certain what retouched points are, but I will guess it is a large flake that is only edge flaked. As long as it has a good point tapering back with sharp edge flakes it will take any game animal.
Yeah, I think what they're referring to by retouched was they used leftover pieces of stone after making something else, that's how I took it at least. There is a photograph in TBB vol. II, in the chapter on Ancient European Bows that shows two chisel shaped arrowheads, which I would think would impede penetration but I guess if they were used they worked.