Author Topic: Glue for glue in points?  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Glue for glue in points?
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:48:03 am »
What glue y'all use for glue on points?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Glue for glue in points?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:57 am »
Hot melt craft glue for target tips and I use Ferril-tite for broad heads.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:08:37 am »
Where do I get the stuff for the broad heads? Trying to get all my hunting stuff buttoned up. Special thanks to a few people that helped me with that so far. It's nice I get to bring all this good medicine into the woods with me.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:27:12 am »
I get mine from Kustom King.  Its cheap, so maybe add a few other goodies on your order to make the shipping costs worth it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:28:34 am »
3Rivers has it also
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:31:20 am »
So super glue was a bad choice for the first two  >:D I'll get some of the other stuff for the reat

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:37:41 am »
Super glue is a bad choice for any points. All arrows break and some day you want them points back.

3 Rivers does have it, I just don't suggest them at all anymore. Too many bad experiences between me and my friends. And that's a small survey sample.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 10:38:12 am »
I live in Northern Arizona and the very dry air has defeated nearly every glue I've tried. I've tried the Ferrul-Tite, I've tried hot melt, I've tried cyanoacrylate glues. Sooner or later, they all fail and points come off.  But now I found something new and it works great! You can get it at WalMart and Home Depot. It's a Loctite product called "GO2 Glue". It's only four or five bucks for a 1.75oz bottle. Has a great spout and an easy-locking cap that makes it very user-friendly for putting on field points and broadheads. It's labelled as shock-resistant, water-resistant, and temperature-resistant. And it is, too. It's clear, also. I highly recommend this glue.   
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:46:48 am »
Yeah, I figured. Superglue fails with heat. I figured I cout heat gun em off . I'll check out that one glue as well dharma

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:13:56 pm »
I use 2-part epoxy for all the points I install, field points as well as broadheads.
Nothing is hot and the cure takes a little while so it's easy to adjust the point to be sure it's on straight. Some people balk at epoxy saying that it's permanent and you'll never get the point off... false. A simple application of heat, just like you'd use with the traditional hot melt glue, will remove an epoxied head.
Regardless of what glue you use, be sure to completely clean the inside of the head before gluing. The oil or grease left over from manufacturing will foil any glue you use.

Guy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:46 pm »
I use super glue. You can heat it and get your points back or freeze them and the glue gets brittle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
I like to be able to adjust points so I usually use Ferril-tite.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 06:53:10 am »
I used ferril tite for years,work OK, but the last couple of years I have been using the hot melt that BigJim sales,not sure
what it is called but comes in a stick like you would use in a glue gun ,only a little longer,best stuff I have ever used,it will work on anything,I don't shoot carbons but Beau does and guess who get to keep him in arrows ??? it works great on them also and easy to adjust or remove if you need to but still hold great. Havent lost a point/head/insert since I started using it.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 09:37:24 am »
I have used the Go2 glue for gluing up my cork laminations for built up handles, but not for points. It worked great for that, but has a long dry time. I used various super glues and regular hot melts, but periodically lost points. I got so aggravated after 3 points came off at a recent 3D shoot, that I glued new ones on with smooth on. I did not have any come off at the next shoot. Field points aren't that expensive, but broadheads are and I don't want them coming off in the broadhead target. The next couple of weeks I will be practicing with broadheads and will probably put them on the shafts with smooth on. I would think If I let them dry at room temperature, that heating them up would release the glue when I am ready to pull them off.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline unkieford

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 11:23:45 pm »
I live in Phoenix, (hot enough for ya?) and use Ferr L tite, and have never had any problems with it. It's cheap, it works, and I can re-point whenever I want to.

Best wishes for your hunt!

---Ford---