Author Topic: ERC for indian bows?  (Read 5140 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
ERC for indian bows?
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:00:37 am »
My friend Erwin has donted a nice ERC stave to me. It is 52 long, cross section is triangular with a bit of a crown with still one or two layers sap on.  At the crown it is about 2“ wide. Some knots are avoidable, a big one not.
I did some searching for indian bows made out of ERC – but didn't find anything. Some west coast bows are made out of juniper, but I assume not from ERC. I'm searching for an indian design/style suitable for my ERC stave.
So can anybody point me in the right direction? Where in North America does ERC grow?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Josh B

Re: ERC for indian bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:36:55 am »
ERC grows in the eastern half of the US.  I don't know of any Native American bows made from it.  That's not to say it wasn't done, just that I haven't seen any examples.  ERC is a juniper so if you should decide to make a west coast sinew backed paddle bow, it should do well in that design.  I wish I could be of more help.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:49:03 am »
I agree, treat it like any other juniper and build a Plains or Western style bow. We all know you will do a fantastic job no matter what, Simon.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 11:07:45 am »
I can't recall the exact source but some southeastern US natives used ERC with a sinew backing. I remember seeing a video of a guy reproducing the process.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:13:19 am »
Are you sure it was in the SE US, Jon? sinew backed bows are not very practical in the humid Southeast.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:36:39 am »
I'm sure the guy was from Georgia. Are you familiar with the video "Full Circle" ?  I want to say that is where I am getting my info Pat.

I will add that I can't say for certain the guy was representing a specific region or locale. I just remember he was from somewhere in the southeast and showed how the stave was "plucked" or "wedged" from a live tree by taking it from the trunk without cutting it down. I will go back and try to find my video and re-watch it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:54:16 am by JonW »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »
Is it Thad Beckum?  I thought you were talking about the SE Indians using sinew on bows.

Offline JonW

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 01:11:05 pm »
I think that is correct Pat. Again I will say I may be mixing up information. My "sometimers" kicks in once in a while and I don't always remember what I remember :o

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 03:39:56 pm »
What does ERC stand for?

Offline GB

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 03:45:45 pm »
ERC= Eastern Red Cedar.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 04:02:23 pm »
I've made some nice shooting bows in the Eastern Woodland bow style. I've never heard or seen pictures of a SE native bow that was sinew backed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 05:51:40 pm »
I've seen and own a old Kiowa bow of ERC it has no sinew backing and has alot of set. If you sinew back the bow it could work.
E

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »
I went and watched the video. I will correct myself by saying the bow he made was not necessarily representative of a SE native peoples. It was an all sapwood sinew backed ERC bow though. You are right Pat it is Thad Beckum.

Offline 21st century archer

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 11:41:36 pm »

Here is a Huron bow made of decrowned eastern red cedar. I have also seen some Ojibwa bows made from cedar.

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 01:56:15 am »
ERC= Eastern Red Cedar.
Thanks GB!