Author Topic: I finished my first Osage self bow: 48#@27", 62" tip-to-tip, 6" brace height  (Read 5432 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

I recognize that I had some missteps along the way, and that my bow is not without flaw, but the process of completing my first Osage self bow has been more than worthwhile.

After shooting the bow a bunch, I applied--over the course of several days--nine coats of Tru-Oil then wiped it down with Johnson Paste Wax. Finally, I added a leather floppy rest then wrapped the handle with deerskin lace, soaking the deerskin lace with Johnson Paste Wax.

More than anything, I really appreciate all of the constructive advice that you guys provided during the process. For me the finished bow is nice and all, but the the process of working on it was the most satisfying.

Now, and I cannot believe I am saying this already, I cannot wait to get started on another one!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:05:32 pm by CrazyHorse1969 »
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Way to go Scott. How about a full draw shot? You know its mandatory before we can call it a bow. It has to bow to be a bow mister..;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Funny! The wife is out and about, so I did not have anyone to take a picture. I will get on that.
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
That's great work right there, I'm sure I and many others here wish our fifth bow looked so nice!

Now give us the draw!
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bradsmith2010

congrats on your bow,, :)

Offline bow101

Looks good, how 'bout a full draw. Your handle is square as the great pyramids.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

Looks great for a first selfbow.  Lets see that baby bend  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline CrazyHorse1969

I would not call it a "perfect" tiller job, but I will learn from this experience and get better next time.

Offline bow101

Tiller looks good to me, nice job.  I would say ya dun good for been 62" and drawing at 27"   8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Looks pretty good to me,way better than my first,congrats. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline johnfolchetti

Re: I finished my first Osage self bow: 48#@27", 62" tip-to-tip, 6" brace height
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:47:44 am »
Way better than my first bow. Well done.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: I finished my first Osage self bow: 48#@27", 62" tip-to-tip, 6" brace height
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:48:31 am »
Nothing wrong with that osage bow CrazyHorse. Take that sucker hunting, it'll kill. ;)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:56:51 am »
Lookin good sir, nice work
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:20:59 am »
Thanks, guys. I worked awfully hard on it. I appreciate the positive comments.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 08:32:14 am »
nice work man....looks good!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan