Author Topic: Harvesting a Shagbark Hickory... a few questions.  (Read 3645 times)

Offline Slowpoke

• Independence, Missouri
Harvesting a Shagbark Hickory... a few questions.
« on: September 28, 2014, 11:26:16 am »
So im the new guy and would like to try making a bow from harvesting the tree to finished product. My first question is about my canidate tree, it is about 18-20 inches around at the base nice and straight to about 13-14 feet where the first major branch is. On the lower portion there are several smaller branches none bigger than a #2 pencil will they affect the bow at all? Second question is about how many staves are possible out of a tree in this size range?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Harvesting a Shagbark Hickory... a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 02:07:19 pm »
A tree that size should yield quite a few staves if it is clean and straight.  Try to look at the bark and see if it shows any twist.  The less twist the better.  If you wait until spring when the sap starts flowing heavy the bark will be much easier to remove.  I cut a shagbark hickory tree this time of year one time and the bark was stuck tight.  It was a lot of work to get it off.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Slowpoke

• Independence, Missouri
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 02:34:37 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the reply. The bark appears to run pretty straight up the tree. So would the few small branches on the lower portion make a difference to the back of the bow?

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 03:07:24 pm »
Slowpoke, you mentioned the tree is 18-20" around.  I assume you mean circumference.  If that's the case, then the diameter should be about 6" and I would try to get two staves out of the tree......four staves at most.  Try to split the tree so that the small limbs are on the edge of the stave or in the center at the handle area.....not in the main working part of the limbs.  Hopefully, you can position the small limbs and knots so that you can remove them when you cut the tapers on the limbs.

On the other hand, if the tree is 18-20" in diameter then we have another whole ballgame.  You can get at least a dozen staves or more.  There will be a lot of options on how to split out staves from that tree.

Good luck and straight splitting.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 05:35:46 pm »
I'd wait until next spring to fell it.   I cut a shagbark just about this time of year several years ago.   The bark was really stuck and I wound up butchering the top growth ring debarking the thing.   Chasing a ring in hickory is no fun....

c.d.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:42:35 pm »
I cut a hickory tree about that size and used the wood for years. Got some good bows from it.

Offline Slowpoke

• Independence, Missouri
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:25:06 pm »
Thanks to all for the info.
Drewster : yes I did mean circumference sorry for not being clear.
Osage Outlaw and cdpbrewer: thanks for the tip
Im going to wait on this until spring.
Now Im off to find a stave to play with til then:)

Offline Drewster

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:40:55 pm »
Slowpoke, if you can find some other staves to work with until next summer, August is an ideal time to harvest hickory.  The tree has the summer to maximize the year's growth but the bark can be peeled off easily.  Hope this helps.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Slowpoke

• Independence, Missouri
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:56:36 am »
Thanks for the tips.