Author Topic: Laburnum (updated)  (Read 13649 times)

Offline Lucasade

Laburnum (updated)
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:37:55 pm »
I've just been given permission to harvest what seems to be a rather lovely bit of laburnum. I've read it can be tricky to season and wondered if anybody has any advice before I cut it and inadvertantly mess it up? It's about 4-5" diameter and runs straight for at least seven feet. In particular is it better to wait to cut it until the leaves have dropped, and do I need to halve it immediately or season it in the round?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:12:10 pm by Lucasade »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Laburnum advice
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:20:47 pm »
I've never used laburnum but in general you can cut bow wood anytime. For whitewoods most folks prefer to cut during the growing season so the bark will peel off exposing the back. From now until next spring the bark will be stuck well to the wood. The bark can be removed but care must be taken to not damage the back.
 Logs I have harvested I've split in half immediately and sealed the ends. In a month or so I'd split out individual staves. If you do remove the bark be sure to seal the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:52:02 pm »
Remember Laburnum is very toxic.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:29:50 am »
Hey, I cut some smaller diam laburnum and left them whole like I do yew. Even with 3 dips on each end they started to check so I split them.
Sounds like you have a nice log, if you think there's more than one bow in it, dont chance  it. I'd band saw it.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:39:25 am »
I don't have access to a bandsaw (and I'm working medieval-style) so if I need to halve it it will be with a drawknife and just go for the one bow - better to get one good stave than two bits of firewood!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:44:33 am by Lucasade »

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:50:06 am »
Yes I too would split it straight away. Make some simple wooden wedges and it will split easily. Labernum can also get quite thick sapwood so I would also be prepared to chase a ring. I tend to just leave one sapwood ring and it's texture may surprise you! It's more like rubber than wood!
As for making thebow from it treat it like it's yew. Narrow and with a rounded belly. You can really strain this wood...it's top notch bow wood....ever bit as good as yew. It also makes the most beautiful bows  :)
I've just split a small straight seasoned log and recurved the ends...just got to get them spliced now  :) Once dry it loses it's toxicity.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:53:34 am »
Thanks everyone - I'll leave it on the tree until I've got time to deal with it straight after cutting then.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:18:37 am »
Hi. I've done som laburnum bows. Use gloves when you harvest and split it. Seal the ends. Laburnum is very toxic when its greenwood but most of the toxic disappear when you dry the staves. The sapwood are more toxic than the heartwood.
If you are lucky you will get a lot of setback in the staves and that gives you a good result when you finish the bow. Laburnum bows keep the reflex and turns out to be very effective. It's the same quality as yew and it is pretty good looking. The sun makes the bow darker, like osage. Work outside and  use mask. Good luck.

:D
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 07:47:31 am »
Split it. Less likely to crack
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
I had to buy some wedges for work so I took the opportunity of being where the tree is for probably the last time this year to chop the log:

Yes that's a large piece of highly toxic wood in my kitchen...  ::)

Anyway, it's a bit knottier than I thought when I looked at it in the tree - I hope it's not beyond use? There's 8" either end which is obviously unusable that I guess will help protect the ends while it seasons and can then be chopped off, and 76" in the middle.

How important is it to split straight away - can it wait a week? Also has anyone got good tips for accurate splitting? I'm getting better but still only done firewood up to now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:07:44 pm by Lucasade »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:27 pm »
It is generally better to wait a week or two before splitting. Do seal the ends ASAP though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »
Can't really tell the diameter of that log. If it was mine I dont think
id chance splitting it. Find where the best bow lies in it and use a hatchet.
a bandsaw may get you 2 staves.
Wait a week or 2 before halve it, seal the ends well and yes leave them long. All my laburnum has checked on the ends

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 02:52:19 pm »
Sorry, should have said. Just over 4" tapering to just over 3 1/2".

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 04:29:40 pm »
Toxic?  I dunno.   ???   Flutes, recorders, and bagpipes were made from it back in the day.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »
From Wikipedia

"All parts of the plant are poisonous, and can be lethal if consumed in excess. Symptoms of laburnum poisoning may include intense sleepiness, vomiting, convulsive movements, coma, slight frothing at the mouth and unequally dilated pupils. In some cases, diarrhea is very severe, and at times the convulsions are markedly tetanic. The main toxin in the plant is cytisine, a nicotinic receptor agonist"