Author Topic: Successfull Bow Designs- Please Share  (Read 3598 times)

Offline arachnid

Successfull Bow Designs- Please Share
« on: October 05, 2014, 02:43:35 pm »
Hi Guys.

This thread is all about sharing successfull bow designs. We have a LOT of excellent bowyers in this
forum and I know I`ve learned a lot from all of you guys. I read quite a bit of questions about suggested dimensions
and designs for specific woods and thought it would be helpfull to concentrate all that knowledge in one thread. So, this is for
anyone of you who built a good bow and willing to share the design with everyone (especially with the noobs..... like me... ;))

please include all the relevant info about the bow (pictures would be welcome...)

Thanks in advance
Dor

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Successfull Bow Designs- Please Share
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:38:45 pm »
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 06:08:43 pm »
A while back a "library of proven designs" was mooted, but it sort of fell through.
If you really want specifics for a Yew English Longbow I have some dimensions if you PM me.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 06:37:20 pm »
Hi guys,
I could be wrong but think what he is asking for is what your most sucsesful disigns are and posting the the dimensions here. So that being said. And if I am wrong please disregard.  :P :laugh: :laugh:

I like to build short bows which are 54" or less. My sweet spot is 48". So I fall in to the native amrican disign pattern mostly. I have also now feel myself moving away from the stiff handle and prefurrring full bendy handles. Which sometimes have a slight deflex/ reflex. Wood I prefur to work with, I can't say exactly, because I don't stick to just one kind of wood. I can say that I am having good results with some hard maple.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 07:17:57 pm »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 08:49:42 pm »
Also, just search Bow Of The Month.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:56:29 pm »
Almost every bow I make is made in a pyramid design with a narrow thick Handle. No matter what wood I use I like 2 inchs wide tapering down to half inch tips and I like my bows atleast 62" long but about 66" is my preferred length
I like osage

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 09:57:45 pm »
I have made several dozen shootable selfbows. But the best I can manage is 165 FPS with 10gpp arrows. I sure would like to see specs of selfbows that can shoot 180 FPS, all gathered here.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 05:53:22 am »
I have made several dozen shootable selfbows. But the best I can manage is 165 FPS with 10gpp arrows. I sure would like to see specs of selfbows that can shoot 180 FPS, all gathered here.
You need "Del the Cat's special FPS Powder" only $30 a pot :o (ignore those sceptics who say it's talcum powder and exactly the same as my "anti chrysal" powder ::))
I do "anti target panic" pills for target archers too (they taste a bit like sugar pills O:) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 06:18:12 am »

You need "Del the Cat's special FPS Powder" only $30 a pot :o (ignore those sceptics who say it's talcum powder and exactly the same as my "anti chrysal" powder ::))
I do "anti target panic" pills for target archers too (they taste a bit like sugar pills O:) )
Del
[/quote]

Hey Del what we all really need is access to that "yew magic wand" it seems that every tree that grows by you is a yew tree :laugh:. And every bow you push out of the magic garden shoots like a champ! Love your site, Happy bowyering.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.