Author Topic: Braced bows  (Read 7373 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Braced bows
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 09:25:00 pm »
   Lately, I have started leaving them strung for the better part of a day before shooting them in.  I excercise the limbs a lot while tillering to get them used to bending, and I also leave them strung for a day, since I hunt all day sometimes.  It is just my gut feeling that I should train the bow to prepare it for how it will be used.  I haven't left one strung overnight, but have seen no bad effects from leaving one braced eight hours.    The hickory bow and the buckthorn bow I posted a couple of days ago, both were at full brace for a day before I shot them in.   Neither of them show any string follow.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:46 pm »
I find the only limbs I have trouble with are my own, when sleepy, cold, and cramped in the wee hours of morning. I have a hard time drawing my bow, sometimes I cant, and I pray a deer doesnt happen by, or even during afternoon, if I dont stretch enough.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 10:08:19 pm »
I find the only limbs I have trouble with are my own, when sleepy, cold, and cramped in the wee hours of morning. I have a hard time drawing my bow, sometimes I cant, and I pray a deer doesnt happen by, or even during afternoon, if I dont stretch enough.

Seems like when it's cold out bows pick up a few extra pounds to me either that or it's illusion lol idk
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:52 pm »
when I get to full brace I sweat my bows for a couple hours, when I hunt it can be four or twelve hours and I leave it strung and haven't noticed any extra set or loss of string tension, left a osage bow strung all day and all nite once, went out the front door headed to work, sprinklers on, bow leaning up against the tree soaking wet, guess it was sealed good I shot it that nite and it shot fine and you could still play a tune on the string
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 10:34:56 pm »
Left one braced today for 3 hours.  Seems perfectly fine.  I could imagine climate conditions may play a role in this to. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 11:50:53 pm »
The bow I'm hunting with was string for 6 hrs Saturday. Unstrung it had 1/2" of string follow. Flat as a board about 1/2 hr after that.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 01:15:57 am »
Dang Bubby, doing some border line destruction testing for the good of the community?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 03:28:41 am »
It is all to do with the strain the bow is under. Take two examples one bow made 1 1/2 inches wide and one made 2 inches wide, same draw length and weight. Which one is more strained at brace, during the draw and at full draw?
Which one is going to show more set after being strung for a few hours.....????
The question is unfortunately a bit like asking how long a piece of string is! ;) Unless all those bows above were made to exactly the same strain at brace they aren't comparable.
As a general rule if your bow starts taking set from being strung for the period you want then make the next one either longer, wider or lower poundage for the same width/length.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 08:38:05 am »
Never had much trouble with leaving them strung 4 or 5 hours at a time,don't do it unless I need to but don't worry about it either. If hunting any time I take a break, I give my bow a break same if shooting 3D or stumping. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 09:05:04 am »
Dang Bubby, doing some border line destruction testing for the good of the community?

more like one to many pbr's sleek :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 01:14:30 pm »
I always measure the reflex before tillering and after tillering.
I always leave my fresh tillered bows strung at least over night. Next day controll if tiller is o.k., on a few adjustment are necessary.

I've made hunting bows, all in the higher weights. My thoughts:
No high stressed design (for example high reflexed), so the bow can let strung at least a day. It should be short as possible, so a d/r or a mild recurve allows a comfortable draw to full length.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 08:13:11 pm »
I've been hunting with my main Osage bow since 2004. I hunt/3-D shoot it till I'm finished and unstring it. I haven't seen any change in the bow since I first started hunting with it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bow101

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:49 pm »
I've been hunting with my main Osage bow since 2004. I hunt/3-D shoot it till I'm finished and unstring it. I haven't seen any change in the bow since I first started hunting with it.

The reason I brought it up is because I read somewhere that FG bows can withstand the pressure for countless hours and that wood bows will eventually loosen up and take set over time.  Just saying; a wood house will eventually warp twist and fall down. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »

The reason I brought it up is because I read somewhere that FG bows can withstand the pressure for countless hours and that wood bows will eventually loosen up and take set over time.  Just saying; a wood house will eventually warp twist and fall down.

Well for one thing houses are a lot different then bows and two the only reason they eventually fall is cus they aren't built from Osage Lol  ;D

Mullet- any way we can see a pic of that bow im really interested in seeing the wear of a ten year old ossge bow
I like osage

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 02:39:26 pm »
My next house will be built from Osage.