Author Topic: Braced bows  (Read 7371 times)

Offline bow101

Braced bows
« on: October 06, 2014, 04:44:48 pm »
A wood bow braced for extended periods of time can decrease performance (more set) & (string Follow) correct.....?  ???
   Having said that you folks that hunt all day with the same bow what is a safe time to leave the bow braced.  4 hours - 6 hours - 10 hours.
When I finish a bow I leave it braced for about 2 hours this is after shooting it in.  Not sure if this is a torture test or not...... ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Braced bows
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:02:35 pm »
Some guys "sweat" their bows in by leaving them braced for up to 24 hours.
I only target shoot, so I take my string off right after shooting. Ive had a bow accidently left strung over night and it was fine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:13:09 pm »
If you can measure its decrease that easily or quickly, you've done something wrong building the bow. Regardless of how long it was braced.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:22:53 pm »
I build my bows so they can stay braced for 4 to 6 hours or more. Tillering and exercising trains your bow to bend and recover.  Sweating(leave braced for time) trains your bow to remain braced for extended periods of time.
When hunting I unbraced my bow when the hunt is over. Same with 3D shooting when the shoot is over.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:29:51 pm »
Ive left a few braced over night. That's never something you want to do, especially several times. In any case they all look as they did prior and shoot the same arrows. So my guess is whatever damage was done isn't very measurable from my standpoint.  On average, the longest any of them are braced would be 3-4 hours a pop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:08:39 pm »
Same as PD,left a hickory bow braced up over night,and no ill effects.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 07:33:02 pm »
On that line, however, what would cause a bow to lose its spring, or degrade its performance to the point of ineffectiveness -- short of having it blow up in your face anyway?  I would assume extreme overdraw, maybe excessive moisture, but what should a decent bow be able to withstand and what is abuse, theoretically?  I think 101 has a good question.  Maybe it has been addressed in the past, but now I am curious.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:25:31 pm »
On a well made wood bow moisture would have the worst effects on it under normal use. Abnormal use would come in a close second.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 11:32:18 pm »
My best Osage bow is strung a lot. Some times I go shoot for 3-4 hours straight and unstrung it it goes back to almost straight every time that's all I know
I like osage

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 03:34:05 pm »
I agree 3 or 4 hours is good rule of thumb,, but a good bow can take longer if needed,,,

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 04:14:27 pm »
I have a Hickory bow that I forgot and left braced behind the seat of my truck for over two days. No problem whatsoever.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »
Probably depends on the bow and the intended use to define what an "extended period" is for any bow.  A bow for hunting should be built with 3-4 hour braces or even all day braces (depends how long you intend to hunt) in mind.  Perhaps with a flight bow you'd want to avoid a 2 day braced period.  :) 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:01 pm »
I don't sweat bows. I leave it strung while hunting and then unstring. I left one strung over night. Don't think there was any damage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:49 pm »
When I hunt, I hunt all day, sunrise to sunset, with the bow strung. It has not suffered at all. I have dont this now for 5 years with the same bow. I even left it strun 24 hours once on accident with no problem, though not a habit I would get into. I made two bows that turned into strung wall hangers. They both took about a month before the string started going slack.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:37 pm »
I hate to confess this but I once left an osage bow--99% finished-- at half draw on the tillering tree. Something came up and I forgot about it for 7 or 8 hours. It turned out to be the smoothest drawing bow I've ever shot but on the flip side, it lost a lot of strength/ recovery speed.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.