Author Topic: The Three Bears Bow Set(Lots of Pics)  (Read 20880 times)

Offline DanaM

The Three Bears Bow Set(Lots of Pics)
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:09:26 pm »
This set of bows started as a single bow when my sister-in law asked me to build a bow for her daughters fiancé as a wedding present. It was supposed to be a fall wedding as I didn’t have any staves dry I put a call out on the forum for a stave. Pappy being the southern gentleman that he is, answered that call and sent me not one but two prime Tennesse hickory sister staves. So I decided to build them each a bow for their wedding.
At the time Scott was serving a tour in Iraq but was due home shortly, but before he could make it home my niece Sara was called up to go to Iraq, so that moved the wedding to sometime this spring.  So sara’s daughter Lilli had to stay with grandma while her mom was serving her tour as a result my wife and I had Lilli once a week, as I worked on the bows Lilli would visit me in the workshop, and wouldn’t ya know it she wanted a bow also and become my little helper and she helped me name them. Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear. Hope you all enjoy them as much as I did making them.

Papa Bear

Pignut hickory 67” NTN, 55# @ 28”, 1 5/8” at fades straight taper to ½” nocks. Has about 1.25” of string follow after unbracing. Buffalo horn and bone tip overlays, black dyed cordage handle wrap.

Mama Bear

Pignut hickory, 58 ½” NTN, 42#@25”, 1 ¾” at fades straight taper to 5/8” at nocks. Has 1” of string follow after unbracing. Buffalo horn and bone tip overlays, black cordage handle wrap.

Baby Bear

My favorite of the three, Maple board, linen backed and birch bark over the linen. 52” NTN,22#@22”, 1 ½” from fades to 5/8” at the nocks, buffalo horn and bone tip overlays.
As you can see it’s a bit strong for Lilli but by spring it should be just right. Her smile was all the reward I needed.

Would like to say Thank You to Scott and Sara and all the serviceman and women for serving our country.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:12:45 pm by DanaM »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: The Three Bears Bow Set
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:10:17 pm »
Mama Bear

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: The Three Bears Bow Set
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:11:26 pm »
Baby Bear

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

Re: The Three Bears Bow Set(Lots of Pics)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:14:51 pm »
more

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:44:36 pm »
Nice work Those tips are beautiful.I have a hard time finding hickory around here there is some shag bark but its all on private land.   Again great bow it looks like the same bow just shrunk each time.
                                                                                    Jesse
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:46:34 pm by WIBOWYER »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:33:12 pm »
WOW!!
You should be very proud!! You have made a very unique collection of bows. I really like the kids bow, the birch bark backing is stunning. Yes, seeing that big grin is reward enough! Nice job. Your passion and enthusiasm is obvious.

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 08:53:42 pm »
Nice work Dana.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:01:45 pm »
Nice set of bows!   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08:36 pm »
Dana, these are all beautiful bows. The look on Lilli's face is awesome!

I hope all your family members take good care over in the sand box, and come home safe and sound.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:25:25 pm »
  ;D So that's what a Yooper looks like! ;D 
  Dana, them's some fine looking bows, and a beautiful young lady to boot.  You've got a lot to be proud of and so do they. Well done.  Shannon
  BTW, you have 35lbs of steel on the way.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 09:31:01 pm »
Fine set of bows Dana. Those tips are beautiful!
Justin Blunt

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 09:46:18 pm »
Awesome bows Dana.  Very inspirational.  I need to get into my shop.  I really like the kids bow as well.  The backing looks great.

Mike

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:48:44 pm »
  Beautiful set of bows, Bro. You are one hell of a guy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 10:01:16 pm »
............Y'all are one hellva uncle Dana !....Very nice bows........................bob

Offline lowell

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 10:54:30 pm »
Very nice.... especially the smile on the girl!!! 

Great gifts.

Have been thinking about backing with birch.  A lot of birch went down around the area from ice storms.  Does it work good???
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!