Author Topic: Red stag in Alabama  (Read 10126 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Red stag in Alabama
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:30 pm »
 Howard that would have shocked me :o...Nice bonus and congrats!
                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »
Worth noting that Red Deer and Elk are closely related and can freely interbreed. Many farmed varieties are hybrids.
 Also interesting that the range of what is considered the same species as our North American Elk extends far into Eurasia before they split into various Red Deer populations that are generally isolated from each other.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 04:11:59 pm »
There was an elk farm near Greenhill Al that had some fences down after a storm. The elk got out and were all killed by the locals I short order as they were not game animal and there were no restrictions on shooting them. It was actually redneck, shots out the truck window slaughter, see one, kill one, anywhere they popped up.

Same thing on some fallow deer that got out near Lauderdale Mgt area, people killed a few of them on Mgt area hunts and didn't know what they were.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 09:12:47 pm »
Thanks Don.  I couldn't have been more surprised if an elephant would have walked up.

Pat, this one made a roaring sound after it was hit.  I had watched some videos of hunts in New Zealand where they called them up with a roar.  I was pretty sure it was a red stag once I heard that, but honestly I didn't know if it was woodland elk or what the heck it was when I shot.  I did know that anything in the deer family with antlers on its head was legal here, so whatever it was,  it was getting an arrow.     

Eric, this one didn't seem like Bessie the cow, but it sure wasn't as sharp and wary as our whitetails.   There has been some discussion around here about whether or not we have a breeding population of them in the wild.  I sort of doubt it.  This one only made to day 2 of our bow season. :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 11:08:51 pm »
Very cool Howard, bet you never thought you would come home with one of those on your way out to hunt in the morning. :)  Hey, just think of all the money you saved not having to travel half way around the world to bag a red stag. Nice trophy and nice shooting too.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 11:26:58 pm »
Thanks Greg.  Man, you aren't kidding.  After it was down, I texted the guy I was hunting with and asked him "Do you have elk on your place?"  He was as shocked as I was. 

I never went on a pay hunt in my life, but this meat is so fine, I wouldn't blame anyone that does.    It is a heck of a lot easier when they just show up on your home range.  :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 12:42:41 pm »
Yep tastes like elk, most of the elk sold in restaurants is in fact red stag, got some good eats there

Didn't know that. So most of the "farmed" elk is actually red stag? So in this guys case does it fill his tag even though its not whitetail?

Anyone ever hunted for the African game that has escaped and is feral now down in Texas, Arizona, etc.? Always thought that would be really cool to go bag something like that.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 04:16:36 pm »
Legally, this counts the same as an eight point whitetail buck for me.   I am not sure about how Texas handles escaped exotics with there game laws. This whole experience has made me think about how wise it is to allow folks to keep exotic game inside high fences.  I have never seen a fence that was impervious to damage, so what's inside is bound to get out sooner or later...
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 05:14:08 pm »
Ah gotcha. Well still a beautiful animal and one that few people here in the US get a chance to hunt.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:48 pm »
AZ Game & Fish won't admit there's escaped exotics here in Arizona. They're reluctant to admit the Mexican Grey Wolf is now all over the state, even though it is. One got hit by a car near Flagstaff. I can hear wolves howling up here in Kayenta some nights late. Everyone's horses just go bananas when they hear that. People see this-n-that in the state and depending on where you are, they'll say it's a chupacabra or a skinwalker. Everyone up here's seen a skinwalker or knows someone who has. Even cops. Some nights late on Highway 160 near Tsegi there's some big black creature that hangs out near the road in different places. Never gotten a good look at it, ain't gonna stop to see what it is, either. There's weird critters walking around here in this state but no one knows what they are. The old 1970s cattle mutilations are starting up again in the region and people are getting spooked. Probably someone's pet African lion got loose, but ranchers say no it ain't an animal doing this. They say the whole thing is surgical and all the spinal fluid and brain missing.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 06:19:27 pm »
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 12:27:04 am »
  A page that is fairly accurate in describing the situation.
http://www.suwanneeriverranch.com/reddeer.htm