Author Topic: Red stag in Alabama  (Read 10154 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Red stag in Alabama
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:52:23 pm »
  I was enjoying the second day of bow season here today.  I was hunting with a friend on his farm.  He put me in a tree stand on the edge of a hay field.  I had some acorns dropping in the woods behind me and deer were starting to move when something odd happened...   A big red deer walked up in the field about thirty steps from me.   I have never seen a young red stag in the wild, and have never hunted any type of deer other than our native whitetails, so this was something very unusual.  Sorry about the fg recurve....  My buddy told me that I might be faced with a longer shot on his land, so I went with the recurve and 2219 aluminums with Woodsman broadheads. 
  I called the DCNR folks and talked with them about this animal.  To be honest, I wasn't sure exactly what it was!  Any exotics or anything in the deer family is fair game in Alabama, if they meet the requirements of what constitutes a legal deer.  I was informed that it was a young red stag.  It weighed about 300lbs and even though it is a youngster, it's the biggest deer I have ever killed with a bow.  This thing was the last thing on earth I expected to see in south Alabam.  Apparently there is a game preserve surrounded by a high fence in a neighboring county.  A big storm a few years back dropped the fence for a time.  Not sure if they are breeding in the wild here or not, but I have since learned that this is not the only one that has been harvested in recent years.   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:47:25 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Red stag in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:57:23 pm »
another pic... My buddy Tommy and this morning's meat.  It was a fun day of hunting.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:49:53 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:22:06 am »
Wow!  That's really interesting!  Here in Florida St. Vincent Island has a sustaining population of sambar deer.  Very similar to your red stag.  Maybe when I get confident hunting I really pursue getting in on that hunt.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:29:34 am »
Thanks Tim.  Yeah, I thought it was really cool.  I have been hunting with a bow for about forty years in this state and have never seen anything like that walk by my stand.  That hunt sounds like it ought to be fun.  Florida has some really unique outdoor opportunities - I will be looking forward to your posts.  Hunting with a bow can really become a part of you.  I will never get cured of it.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:31:18 am »
Cool, congratulations!

Tim; start putting in for the draw now. You might get picked by the time you have confidence, I haven't yet. :) And the Sanbar average 600#. The hunt is for muzzleloader or archery.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:21:23 am »
Way cool Howard - no need to apologize for what You what You were shooting, it's still a stick & string ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:37:54 am »
What a unique trophy!  Lots of meat on that thing.  I wonder if it will taste different than deer.  What are you going to do with the rack?  It would make a cool skull mount.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:39:48 am »
That is really cool,man I would love to see one of those from my stand. :)Nice shot also. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 07:09:48 am »
damned Howard, a big surgery and rehab and now this.....cant leave you alone for a minuet hey? That's a fine animal and couldn't have gone to a better fella.
rich

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:02:13 am »
When I ate it, it was a bit like Elk. A friend of mine shot one in Missouri, when he got in he asked if he could store his cape in my freezer. He gave me the loins in trade.  :o
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:14:44 am »
Nice harvest, Howard. If I had something like that walk out on me I probably would have missed it. Way to keep your cool!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:17 am »
Very cool Howard, I could'nt imagine something like that approaching my stand.

Congrats!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 11:14:55 am »
Wow, just wow!
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 11:17:44 am »
Yep tastes like elk, most of the elk sold in restaurants is in fact red stag, got some good eats there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 08:57:24 am »
Thanks guys.  Yep, it tastes great!  The tenderloins are out of this world.  I hope there are more out there.... :D

Clint, we are thinking alike.  It will be a Euro mount.  I will post pics of it later. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:29:23 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi