Author Topic: Band saw blades  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Band saw blades
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 01:24:00 am »
Band saw blades are easily made. The blade stock comes off a roll of stock, they measure it, cut it, then weld it using a machine that's similar to a spot welder. Then the weld is cleaned up with a 1" belt sander inside and outside, then you have your blade. All you need is the length as it would be in a long, unwelded strip, the width, and TPI. Most will be bimetal like sawzall blades are. Quite a few saw shops can make them up just like chainsaw chains can be made to size rather than trying to find made-up blades "off the rack". I've made both in shops I worked at. Not much skill involved, but the investment in equipment to make up your own bandsaw blades would be pricey. However, if you ran through a lot of blades, you could conceivably get the gear and blade stock and make your own blades from then on. I'm kind of surprised a good bowyer's supply shop hasn't figured that one out yet and stock the best blade stock for bowmaking. The key would be looking around to find a saw shop pulling the plug and liquidating equipment. Buy it and the rolls of blade stock and you could carve yourself a niche business selling bandsaw blades for bowyers. It only takes about 5 minutes to make a bandsaw blade.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...