Author Topic: Band saw blades  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Band saw blades
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »
I need a new bandsaw blade for my Grizzly 14.5" (109" I think). I use it mostly for roughing out staves. Tell me what I need and where can I get it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Band saw blades
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:15:31 am »
Pat, I got a two pack of Olson blades for a reasonable price off of the big auction site for my 14" grizzly.  I have been impressed with them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:29:21 am »
I also like the Olsen blades.i got mine at a wood working shop.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:53:40 am »
 Pat I get mine from Grizzly,I use a 3 hook for roughing out stuff. They are probably not the very best but they last great and cut good when I am the only one using them which ant very often anymore. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:27:02 am »
Pat, if that is not a common size, check out Timberwolf blades.  They have many options and will make to your size.  They are a little pricey, but cut very well.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline neuse

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 07:38:57 am »
I have a 14" Grizzly with riser block and it takes 105".
Timberwolf blades are really good.

Offline neuse

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 07:40:18 am »
I think without the riser it is 96".
Grizzly will know.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:32:32 am »
+3 on the Olson Blades. They are very reasonably priced and so far they work great. I bought 2 for less than I bought the spare from Grizzly when I got my saw. I got the one that works on wood and soft metal so, from what I have read, they stay sharp longer, especially if work mostly on wood.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:53:01 am »
Pat,
     I get mine from an "Industrial Supply" place, the kind that caters to local industrial shops. The blades are Lenox (from lenoxsaw.com) the shop cuts them to what ever length you specify. Mine are  NEO   7'9-1/2"   3/4"   3 hook.  They are tough and cut logs and staves really well, and work well for even the ironwood and elms. Not ideal for fine fancy patterns but damned good for gettin bow material down to size.
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 09:26:03 am »
Like I mentioned I use my saw mostly for roughing out staves and mostly osage. I have a few thinner blades for other work. I'll check out these different blades. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
My saw was a special addition Grizzly  14.5" I'm pretty sure it is a 109" but I will double check that.   So it's the 3 points per inch, hook is what I want?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:31:05 am »
The timberwolf blades are only about $5 more than a Bosch. I have only used the Bosch I bought from Lowes, and it seems to work well. I think it was like $9.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:56:20 am »
The tooth type and size depends on the blade width....for 1/2" or less the most aggressive will be 4 hook the 3 hook starts at 3/4" up to one inch. On the "hook" shape you have a larger gullet which is better for ripping and intertangled grain woods....aggressive tooth set is also good if the supplier offers different set amounts.
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:54 am »
Thanks Rich. That is helpful info.
  No one seems to have 109" so I'll contact Grizzly an ask them about it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 10:16:01 am »
If you check for saw shops in your area you can find a place to make them for you. I use a local shop that caters to industrial sawyers. They make my blades out of much thicker stock than the blades at Lowe's. I buy them ten at a time and get them for $9 or $10 each. I use 1/2", 3TPI, skip tooth blades.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 11:22:01 am »
If you check for saw shops in your area you can find a place to make them for you. I use a local shop that caters to industrial sawyers. They make my blades out of much thicker stock than the blades at Lowe's. I buy them ten at a time and get them for $9 or $10 each. I use 1/2", 3TPI, skip tooth blades.

+1. I get mine custom made at Great Western Saw locally. I get what I want, they're cheaper, and the welds are guaranteed.