Author Topic: tillering advice please (video works now!)  (Read 2224 times)

Offline TimBo

tillering advice please (video works now!)
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:37:44 pm »
I liked PrimitiveTim's tillering video idea, so I stole it (assuming I got it to work). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbhBcdzt_Wo

This is a private video, and I will take it down in a couple of days, but any advice would be appreciated.  (Good advice especially!)

This bow is an Osage flatbow design, about 63" NTN, currently 55# @ 23"; target weight is 55#@26".  Brace height is still about an inch low, and I am drawing to about 22" in the video.  There is some light propeller twist and other funkiness and I am trying to proceed VERY carefully since I had a similar elm bow to this point over the summer, took a bit too much off the lower limb, developed chrysals, etc. - grrr.  Width is 1 5/8" until a bit before midlimb (sort of a compromise between Torges layout and TBB for flatbow design).  It started with a couple inches of reflex (heat induced) and seems to have lost an inch or inch and a half pretty evenly so far.  I would like to sweat it but really want to make sure the limbs are bending evenly.  The top one is mostly the one I wonder about; the bottom one looks good to me (although it is the funkiest).  It seems to feel balanced when drawing, but I am still learning to feel tiller that way and don't totally trust myself. 

Thanks in advance!  I am eager to get this bow done so I can shoot it of course, and also so I can finally post something here. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:15:12 pm by TimBo »

Offline TimBo

Re: tillering advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:02 pm »
Here are photos.  The bottom limb is the kinkier one and is about 1.5" shorter.  I still need to reduce the bottom tip and shape the nock.

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:34:43 pm »
Your video link isn't working, at least not for me.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:41:26 pm »
Your video link isn't working, at least not for me.

Me neither

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:41 pm »
Oops.  It opens for me from the Bows page, so I assumed it would work for everyone.  I will try to figure out how that works...sorry! 

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:42 pm »
OK, it should work now.  Sorry - I was trying for a tiller check, not a video check!   
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:32:16 pm by TimBo »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tillering advice please (hopefully video works now)
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »
Still not working
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 05:32:55 pm »
Pat, can you check it One More Time?  Pretty pretty please?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 05:41:14 pm »
OK, it working now.   I think you need to get the outer portion of the upper limb to bend a little more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 06:29:58 pm »
Looks pretty darn good to me!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline TimBo

Re: tillering advice please (video works now!)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 10:22:43 pm »
I will check out the outer portion of the upper limb tomorrow.  There is a cluster on pin knots around there and I left it just a smidge thicker.  Also, that area has a bit of propeller twist, and I think that makes it look flat.  Thanks! 

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:52:42 pm »
OK, it working now.   I think you need to get the outer portion of the upper limb to bend a little more.

That's what I'm seeing to0
I like osage