Author Topic: Bowyer's Bible.  (Read 7883 times)

Offline Milt0n

Bowyer's Bible.
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:47:56 pm »
As one noob to another, READ IT. I know what you are thinking. Meh if I get stuck I'll just ask. Don't. Listen to every veteran stick shooter on here buy the damn books and read them. I'm about 1/3 into volume 1 and I can tell you in already kickingyself I'm the caboose for not reading it earlier. The first few chapters alone have given me more understanding than 4 months of reading every forum post and watching every video I could find. They sound like a broken record when telling us beginners to read them.....for a reason.

Offline Drewster

Re: Bowyer's Bible.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:16:37 pm »
The four volumes are absolutely a massive collection of wooden bow building knowledge......worth every penny of cost.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Milt0n

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:22:44 pm »
I just felt the need to put it out there. I did the same thing the majority of noobs do and dismissed it quickly. The internet knows everything afterall. Finally said screw it and got them. With in 5 minutes of cracking Vol. 1 open I knew waiting was a huge oversight on my part. I have not even begun my first bow and can tell you I feel much more confident that this piece of firewood I will make will be a larger step in the right direction. Should I hit a snag I will have a minimal grasp as to what happened, rather than none.
Thank you PA for drilling it in my head that I should read these.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 05:40:22 pm »
Yep.  I am a bit prone to buying books anyway, and got all four volumes early on.  I still refer to them or just re-read parts regularly (not daily anymore, but almost).  I think some people like to focus on a few areas where philosophy has changed (decrowning) or typos/errors (the infamous arrow spine drawing, which is backwards), but overall there is still a boatload of good information in TBB. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:06:07 pm »
yes great info,, I learn something every time I pick one up an read

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:37:16 pm »
I bought Volume 1 years ago, and at some point, one issue of PA--don't ask me which one.  It was enough to spur my interest--which lay dormant for about a decade.  So last week, I ordered Volumes 2-4, along with a couple of other classics.  My problem is that I would a whole lot rather read about almost any subject than get off my butt and do it!

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:29 am »
Milt0n, how, tell me HOW could you stop one third through Vol. 1 to post this thread????

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline jayman448

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:51:54 am »
I have no tools, no work area, and no available wood. still my passion lays in bow building. I was working minimum wage at a coffee shop. every paycheck id buy another bowiers bible books. they r fantastic. I committed the sin of grabbing a board and produced a shootable bow first try with the help of these books (and countless hours on youtube before hand) get the books. just get em !

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:22:44 am »
I agree wholeheartedly.
Superb books which got me started.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:59:48 am »
The Chapter in #1 on Tillering is worth the cost of all four books combined. Pre-Internet, I loaned My #1 book to many students. Still going strong ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 05:03:53 am »
Yep ,great resource to have ,I ant much of a reader .but I have them all and have read them,some more than once. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline arachnid

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 06:19:10 am »
I have no tools, no work area, and no available wood. still my passion lays in bow building. I was working minimum wage at a coffee shop. every paycheck id buy another bowiers bible books. they r fantastic. I committed the sin of grabbing a board and produced a shootable bow first try with the help of these books (and countless hours on youtube before hand) get the books. just get em !

I hope you don`t mean that board bows are sins..... I only build board bows and there great.... ;)

About the TBB, I have only vol. 1-2 and I haven`t read all of them (English is not my native tongue) but the info in those book is invaluable.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:47:33 am »
When volume one came out it was like the holy grail to us fledgling bow makers, there wasn't much more than simple texts and bow making pamphlets out there at the time. I bought volume two and three when they came out and was a bit disappointed in all the fluff written to fill pages between the actual useable information, I didn't buy volume four.

My take, buy volume 1 as it has the best concentration of actual bow making information and will get you started.  The other volumes, buy them if you want them.

Bow making is like any other craft, you learn ten times more by doing than by reading.

Case in point; Flintknapping, I have all the books and videos but have spent very little time actually flaking rock so I still don't know how to flintknap.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 11:57:19 am »
I concur.  I tell all my friends/acquaintances/people who ask about the series.  I suggest that if you can only afford one, get Vol I.  If you can afford two, get Vol I and IV.  The other two are neat and full of fun stuff, but are more focused and specific regarding styles and skills.  I and IV are more general in scope, skill, and technique.  They are great for learning how to get it done.

There are lots of other good books around, all useful and pleasant to read, as well as a host of forums, YouTube videos, tutorials, blogs, build alongs, and such forth, many by member from this fine page.  But for an all around on hand reference to dog ear and richly absorb, nothing beats the TBB Vols I and IV.

Offline Milt0n

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »
Milt0n, how, tell me HOW could you stop one third through Vol. 1 to post this thread????

Jim Davis

Look at the time it was posted. I was at work. All of my free time is spent burried TBB in prep for my first board bow begining next week. Followed by felling a few hickory's in the yard. Hopfully I will end up with enough usable or practice staves to quick dry some and let a few season. Either way tool will meet wood within the next 5-7 days. This site has been invaluable. I have been a lurker for a bit. While lurking I noticed the pattern that every questions I have sought to answer has been answered 400 times, at least 1 being read Vol. ? of TBB. Help yourself before you seek help.