Author Topic: wood deer grunt call on the lathe  (Read 14037 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
wood deer grunt call on the lathe
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:29:04 am »
Ok, so I got a few requests for a build-a-long on my grunt calls. Bear with me here, I've never done a build-a-long. So here goes nothin.

First up, we need to cut 2 blocks of wood for the exhaust and the barrel. The smallest you want is 1.25" square blocks. That doesn't leave you a lot of room to get fancy with shapes on the lathe, so if thats what your after go with a little bigger block. In the pic I have some ambrosia maple for the exhaust and walnut for the barrel.

The exhaust block will be cut to anywhere from 3.5"-4.5" long. This length, along with the length of the barrel will determine your overall length. So it comes down to preference. I like mine to fit in my jeans pocket, so cut the barrel to 3.75" long.

cut the barrel to 3.25" long. You can go longer on this, but don't go shorter. My preference is to have the barrel shorter than the exhaust, just for aesthetics.

Then we need a 5/8th" dowel cut to 2.25" long. And a 1/2"dowel cut to 3 & 5/8th" long.
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: wood deer grunt call on the lathe
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 10:39:53 am »
Up next, we need to drill holes in all of it.

So we need a 5/8th" hole all the way through the exhaust and barrel.

In the 5/8th" dowel cut a 1/2" hole all the way through. That doesn't leave a lot of wood, but that's ok. I drill all these holes on the lathe, especially this one, due to it being easier to center this hole.

In the 1/2" dowel cut a 5/16th" hole, NOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. You will leave 1/2" not drilled through. This dowel becomes your sound board. The part the reed sits on. The second pic is of the sound board after being drilled and split in half length wise.

The most important parts to any deer call are the sound board and the reed. Any SLIGHT variations in either the sound board construction, or the reed shape and size, will make BIG differences in the sound of the call. That being said you will have to play with this a little on your own to achieve the sounds you desire.
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:55:03 am »
So after the sound board dowel is drilled and split. You will need to make a wedge. This is simply a piece of the 1/2" dowel that fits later into the call to hold everything in place.

You will then need to cut a reed. You can buy precut reeds or cut them yourself from sheets also available on the web. PM me and I can let you know where I get the stuff. You can also simply steel the reed from that now piece of sh!!!t plastic call you bought from the store. ;)  You may have to do some trimming to it though. As stated in the last post, any alterations to the reed or sound board will drastically alter the sound of the call. So trim "slivers", very little at a time in order to make the reed fit on the sound board. If cutting your own reed, start with these dimensions. 1/2" wide, 3.75" long, with one end rounded. The rounded shape will again effect the end sound results, so you will need to play with shapes to achieve the sound you desire.   

The only other piece you will need to purchase is the O-ring. You want a 1/4" rubber o-ring.

You then have everything you need to piece it together.

If I missed something, or something is confusing just say so. Again this is my first build-a-long.
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 10:59:44 am »
I forgot, shape your exhaust and barrel on the lathe. The overall shape is completely you preference and does not effect the sound.

I sand and finish those parts on the lathe.
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 11:11:07 am »
So before you piece everything together, you will need to sand the sound board. The end that did not get drilled through needs to be shaped with a curve facing down i guess, not sure how to explain that. Pic will show you. This is the step that will alter your end sound more than anything. 

If you will someday be making many of these calls, you may want to make a jig, so the shape of the sound board is always the same. I'm not to that point, so I don't have a jig to show you. I still shape them all by sand paper or file, meaning every call sounds a little different. This is the only pic i have of the shaped sound board.
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:16:02 am »
So I broke the walnut barrel while on the lathe. Made a new one from the same ambrosia maple as the exhaust.

Let's put it all together.

Insert the 5/8th" dowel in to the exhaust, leaving .75" remaining outside the exhaust.

Then insert soundboard into the 5/8th" dowel, leaving 1.75" outside the other dowel.
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:20:35 am »
Remember this is a dry fit, so you may have to sand the 5/8th" dowel a little to get the sound board to fit. Moving the soundboard in and out of the dowel will also alter end sound results.

You will then fit reed, wedge and rubber o-ring into it as shown in pics. Again you may have to play with slight adjustments to make it all fit, or achieve the sound you are looking for.
Rockford, MI

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:27:46 am »
Your reed should overhang the sound board about 1/4". Once you are to this point, the call is in working order, with minor adjustments for the sake of desired sounds.

Slide the barrel over, and test it out.  ;D ;D. If it sounds like you just kicked a dying duck across the yard, make some adjustments to the sound board, maybe more of a curve, or you might have to much of a curve. Also, slight adjustments to the reed, and where the o-ring is placed. That's all up to you.

Good luck, have fun with it, and ask any questions you have. I am new to deer call making, so I'll answer questions the best I can.

Thanks enjoy.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline dueb

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 12:28:24 pm »
Neat, I'll have to try that sometime. Thanks for the build along!  ;D ;D
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:03:09 am »
That's freaking awesome! !!!!!!!!
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:30:11 am »
Thanks fellas!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:57 am »
Very cool Dave! I'll have to try that. I've always wanted to make one. I don't have a lathe but I guess I could carve it by hand. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:40 am »
Now all I need is a lathe!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
Thanks guys.

Patrick, I imagine you could make one from just about anything you could get a 5/8" hole in. I'll be experimenting with some different materials in the future. If I can get one made, I'll share some pics.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 09:54:44 pm »
Cool, thanks Dave! A buddy of mine made one out of some pvc pipe one time. It worked but was kinda crude it took him like 30 min but it didn't last. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!