Author Topic: hand cranked grinders any good?  (Read 8545 times)

Offline paulc

hand cranked grinders any good?
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:14:26 pm »
I have an antique one that is a nightmare to use, thinking about upgrading to one that is either new hand cranked or an electric.

Any advice? I don't have a deer yet this year but when I get one I want some home ground burger from it. Thanks for your time....Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hand cranked grinders any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 08:50:37 am »
I've always used a hand crank. They haven't changed over the years so you might be able to upgrade the cutting discs or sharpen the ones you have.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:25:12 pm »
hand crank here too, sometimes I wish I had a electric one though :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:50:31 am »
Mines a antique hand cranker that was a hand down for My Parents. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 07:36:56 pm »
I used and still own a hand crank grinder. If you are doing one deer a year or just an occasional one then it is doable. I now only eat venison (no beef) so I may cut several each fall, plus a couple friends deer. I now own an electric grinder and it is worth the price. Keep the hand crank one as a backup.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline lenador

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:56:57 pm »
Last year we tried to use a hand crank grinder and it kept clogging over and over And over. I don't know what we were doing wrong and an electric one would have been clogged but it would have been a lot less work.
Failure isn't a loss unless you cease to move forward from it.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:10:44 am »
If you do decide to upgrade to a modern grinder. Make sure that you do your homework. The biggest problem with the electric counter top ones is that a lot of them have plastic cog gears. I burnt up 3 of them from bass pro that was about 80 dollars trying to process 2 deer. Everyone broke the plastic gears. When I took the last one back the manager talked to me and gave me an upgrade to one of their 150 dollar ones that was stainless steel with steel cogs in it. I have since given that one to a buddy and he still uses it. We have had it about 10 years. I upgraded to one that is attached to a  meat bandsaw that has two motors, one for the grinder and one for the saw. I can grind 4 deer in about 3 hours wit that. Got it from sportsman guide for under 300. JMO Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Webster

• Don't go through life in lockstep
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »
I have both an antique manual and an electric.

Biggest problem, I believe, is that many don't really trim all the sinew and gristle before grinding.

With an electric, this clogs fairly quickly and builds up enormous pressue, putting a strain on everything,

Besides trimming your meat well, sharpen the star shaped cutter on a flat stone or wet paper.

Any signs of clogging, take the front off and clean..

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 05:13:05 pm »
I have both an antique manual and an electric.

Biggest problem, I believe, is that many don't really trim all the sinew and gristle before grinding.

With an electric, this clogs fairly quickly and builds up enormous pressue, putting a strain on everything,

Besides trimming your meat well, sharpen the star shaped cutter on a flat stone or wet paper.

Any signs of clogging, take the front off and clean..

+1 for sure

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:16:24 pm »
Good info on getting an electric grinder with the metal drive gear. Plastic gears are damaged easier. Also the cutting blades must be sharp as noted, but they must also have good tension against the front plate. It is a scissor motion that cuts the meat and sinew. If a small gap or lack of tension then it will clog much easier. Sometimes small washers can be put behind the auger to tighten the fit.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 08:37:56 pm »
I've done a lot of meat grinding over the years., a lot of it for my grandmother who killed and butchered her own cows.  One thing I learned from her that helps a lot is to use meat that is partially frozen in your grinder, not frozen hard but meat that is frozen but still pliable.  You can easily grind the gristle and fat when the meat is partially frozen
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 08:46:41 pm »
Marc,
I just got finished doing exactly that,  I agree.....much easier frozen but harder on the fingers....... freezing... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 12:31:06 am »
I've done a lot of meat grinding over the years., a lot of it for my grandmother who killed and butchered her own cows.  One thing I learned from her that helps a lot is to use meat that is partially frozen in your grinder, not frozen hard but meat that is frozen but still pliable.  You can easily grind the gristle and fat when the meat is partially frozen

Very good info Marc! I've heard about that but never tried it. I know if I cut bone in steaks I will freeze it till its stiff and not quite hard. 

Danzn Bar, try putting a jersey glove on then a rubber glove over them. It really makes a difference if you can get them to fit right. I normally need help getting the rubber glove on. Have someone stretch it out and hold it while you put your hand in it.  Patrick

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 09:04:10 am »
Danzn Bar, try putting a jersey glove on then a rubber glove over them. It really makes a difference if you can get them to fit right. I normally need help getting the rubber glove on. Have someone stretch it out and hold it while you put your hand in it.  Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I'll give it a try...
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 11:39:04 am »
No problem DBar! Patrick