Author Topic: qestion about mulberry  (Read 1695 times)

nsherve

qestion about mulberry
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:59 am »
I have a good bit of mulberry trees on my property that are pretty good size ( one is 10" to a foot in diameter). My q is, when is the best time to cut it down? spring early sumer makes it easier to de-bark, but should I leave the bark on, or take it off right away? I've read that it loses moister fast and will crack real bad (am I mistaken?), so is it better to take it down in the fall/winter?

nsherve

Re: qestion about mulberry
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 09:15:15 am »
It's red mulberry...if that matters.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 09:36:53 am »
Cut it anytime you can. You have to knife off the bark and sapwood either way.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:10 am »
My thoughts
Cut it now but only one at a time so you can get it split , a ring chased, and sealed up before it starts splitting itself 
Then cut the next one and repeat till they are all gone !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

nsherve

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 10:33:20 am »
I'll just cut one for now, there will be plenty of staves for me to try...I'm very new. Right now I'm working on hickory which I recently cut down.....
  Is it necessary to chase rings on the mulberry? I've read otherwise? Also, I don't know how to do that... I guess I'll try it both ways. I need to finish building my barn before I even make a tillering tree, but even the hickory is still wet ( I've read it takes hickory a long time to dry out here in Alabama).

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:20:51 am »
Try and cut a sapling, ruff it out and strap it to a board to help keep it straight, remember to seal it then find a spot in the house where it's warm and dry and let it sit a month work it some and weigh it put it up a few weeks weighing it untill it stops dropping weight and make a bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 01:31:46 pm »
My thoughts
Cut it now but only one at a time so you can get it split, etc...

Agree.  If you cut it and store it in a cool place, you can keep splits, but you will have to chase a ring.  If you chase a ring, go ahead and rough out the bow.  If not, leave the bark on, reduce it somewhat, and dry it slowly.  Bugs do like mulberry sapwood, though, so be careful.

nsherve

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:44:57 pm »
Thanks, y'all...