Author Topic: BBO-ELB from Finland  (Read 10768 times)

Offline Lehtis

BBO-ELB from Finland
« on: December 02, 2014, 04:08:50 am »
Greetings from Finland!

After finishing my previous ELB-stylish HBHB in the beginning of November I´ve now, in the beginning of December, succeeded to make another ELB stylish bow. This bow combines the world as the British Commonwealth did earlier: Bamboo back and water buffalo horn decorations from East, Bulletwood core from South, Osage Orange belly from West and the bowyer from North... :-)

First I glued 15 mm osage thick billets at handle by Z-joint and after planing that a 5 mm thick bulletwood slice on top of it. I used Titebond III for this. Then I formatted a bamboo slice near the final bow width, 30 mm at handle and mid limbs and 15 mm at nocks. Then I sanded the slice down to 4 - 5 mm at edges and glued it on top of bulletwood, now 4 mm, with Urac-185. No reflex induced, the stave was kept staright while drying.

After drying I sawed the stave according to the bamboo shape and the osage slices got from the nock ends I glued on the belly side to thicken the handle area. Then I shaped the sides to final bow width, 26 mm at handle to mid limbs and to 12 mm at nocks. After rounding the bamboo backing´s edges normal tillering work started by removing extra wood from belly side. When the bow was bending enough for shorter string I attached the horn nocks wit Araldite and continued the tillering proces after that. After test shooting I made the handle from a bag found from a flea market. I tried to deepen the brownish colour of the leather by bathing it in coffee before sewing it on the handle.

My aim was to reach the same poundage as with the earlier made HBHB-bow and I succeeded precisely: 74 lbs @ 28". The bow length is 70,5" between the string grooves. So, now I´ve got two bows ready for IFAA Indoor World Championships, WIAC 2015, Pärnu, Estonia, next March.

Some photos attached - Hope you´ll like this.

T: Esa

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: BBO-ELB from Finland
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:50 am »
Yep another beauty, very nice job. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 05:10:29 am »
Very handsome bow :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:04:04 am »
Gorgeous bow
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 07:31:19 am »
Really nice bow! Europeans dont seem to mess around when it comes to bow making.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:13:57 am »
VERY nice bow.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:41:47 am »
Great job man.  That thing is a beauty.  Love the horn nocks.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:58:49 am »
One of my goals, an ELB.  Nicely done!
George

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:38:39 am »
Very nice ELB! Very classic design and nice tiller. Well done.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 11:24:55 am »
Sweet looking bow

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:47 am »
Thanks (kiitos) guys, for your kind comments!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 08:40:07 am »
Sweet bow and nice bend. I have been wondering about that combo. I have some of the same materials I was thinking about putting in a bow.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 09:16:30 pm »
That's a stylish bow with a great tiller sir.

Offline Lehtis

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 02:44:17 am »
This Bamboo-Bullet-Osage combo sounds quite OK so far. Just before this BBO bow I made similar one by size and strength, from back: Hickory-Bullet-Hickory-Bullet. While gluing this HBHB it was bent ca. 3" reflex which disappeared during tillering. After few hundred arrows this HBHB bow has now few mm gap between the handle and loose string in rest. I didn´t put any reflex on this BBO while gluing the parts but it is still less deflexed, less string follow, after shooting than the HBHB and it´s loose string just touches the handle in rest. Bamboo´s ability to resist stretching and osage´s elasticity/compression strength seem to fit together. Also this BBO sounds and feels faster than that HBHB; not chronographed yet.

This was my first attempt to use osage, simply because of it´s not easily and cheaply available here. Based on this experience, easy to work and handle with common tools and it´s known properties there, I´ve now ordered four billets for future projects. So, as many of you already know, bamboo and osage work fine together. My purpose to glue bulletwood between them was more or less to get some decoration on my bow but seems it´s fine working combo also.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 11:34:38 am »
Yep, you folks from across the pond really know how to make a pretty bow.  Nice Job.  Killer tiller