Author Topic: 3rd Annual Moon Tree Gathering  (Read 110728 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: 3rd Annual Moon Tree Gathering
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »
Dave,
Therapy is coming along, good days and bad days.  My goal is to make it there early enough Saturday morning to have biscuits and sausage gravy ready @ 9:00 for breakfast.  Then hang around the bow shop a while and head back home that evening.  It will be just two weeks after surgery and my leg really is weak it wasn't that strong before surgery due to putting up with the knee the last few years.

Sounds like it's going to be a great time, I'll really enjoy seeing the tanning and skins demos.
Till next time,
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2015, 01:56:04 pm »
Dave,
One other thing......I will not be able to dig out the clay bird thrower and targets, tooo may steps at this time.
Sorry Bill
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2015, 08:18:16 pm »
Bill the most important thing for you do now is to take care of yourself.  Breakfast at 9AM works for me.  I have a pigeon thrower and a couple others have volunteered to bring one, also.  Clay targets are easily obtained.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2015, 01:35:48 am »
I got the stretching, scraping, smoking frame completed today.  The next big chore is getting the range ready.  The weather is really messing with me on this one.  I wanted to have it groomed and set up 2 weeks ago.  It won't take 3 hours to do it.  But, right now everything is a muddy mess. 

Speaking of weather, it doesn't look half bad for next weekend.  Friday near 50 degrees with 40% chance of rain.  Saturday 30% chance of rain and snow around daylight; warming to 50 degrees.  The wind looks light for both days.  That's a heck of lot better than the monsoon we had on Saturday last year.

Tomorrow, Saturday, I'm going to a little more straightening in the workshop. AND THEN I'M GOING TO START WORKING ON A BOW!
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2015, 08:01:50 am »
Don't over do it Dave.  I'm planning on coming down Friday late afternoon/early evening if that's OK with you.  I can help with whatever needs done.  I'm glad the weather looks better than last year. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2015, 10:23:48 am »
Clint Friday is fine for your arrival :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2015, 12:35:08 am »
I actually worked on a bow today.  It was nice creating little wood curls again. But, it wasn't yeller wood.  I got it laid out and looking like a bow.  I need to thin the limbs more, then heat straighten the alignment.  I'll do that while I'm inducing reflex.  My goal is to have it ready to tiller by weekend.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2015, 12:44:49 am »
What kind of wood is it Dave?  I also worked on roughing out a bow today to bring with me. 

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2015, 08:05:27 am »
It's the HHB that Blackhawk gave me when I gave him that rotted piece of osage that became the "Bluegrasshole" bow.  I've had it for 4 years.  It's time it became a bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2015, 12:04:54 pm »
It's the HHB that Blackhawk gave me when I gave him that rotted piece of osage that became the "Bluegrasshole" bow.  I've had it for 4 years.  It's time it became a bow.

Is this the first time you have worked with HHB Dave?  If so, you will like it.  Its #2 on my list of favorite bow woods.  The dust bothers my throat.  It seems harder than osage when using a scraper or rasps.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2015, 09:31:05 pm »
Thawed out a gray and red fox for the tanning part this weekend came close 2x today on a whistle pig today slipped in the hole both times. I will get that sucker tomorrow when I get off work. 5 more days to go

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2015, 12:44:14 am »
My grandfather used to tell me that a pair of groundhog shoe strings would wear out 3 or 4 pairs of boots.  I have a groundhog hide that's been hanging in the shop for 3 years.  I'm going to do my ash solution, hair removal on it and the old deer hides in the shed.  I'd like to have the deer in the freezer fleshed out and hair removed ready for the egg tanning.  If not, I have a couple hides that need egg tanning anyhow. I saw a cool hide smoking video on YouTube.  I got figure out a way to make that happen.

OH, I took a vacation day for Thursday.  So, if anyone want to come in a day earlier, I'll be here.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2015, 07:09:53 am »
Yall have fun this weekend and stay out of trouble. ??? :-\  Wished I could make and some day I plan on it, we always have our first event the 3rd weekend of March so couldn't do it this time. :) 
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2015, 07:34:47 am »
Pappy, you would like it.  Sorta like a mini Classic, only with a small (but growing) group.  No official scorecards and just shooting at your leisure.  Good food and lots of joking and cutting up.  Pretty much stress free fun (unless your are Dave's wife when an exploding target goes off, or Clint after a bad batch of chicken).  Love to see you there some day.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:52 am »
I am going to be clearing out much of my stave stash.  I have to make room in my shed.  So, I will have a bunch of shorter (around 50") staves and a few other assorted staves of various lengths with me at Moontree to trade or gift to people.  Just a heads up so that everyone saves room to haul them back.  Otherwise, Dave will get stuck with them. >:D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN