Author Topic: Ocean Spray Shorty "inspired by half eye"  (Read 9393 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: Ocean Spray Shorty "inspired by half eye"
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 01:37:14 am »
Wow, not a flat spot on that stick anywhere.  A little deer slayer.  Nice, Don.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 06:55:34 am »

Wizardgoat, Yes it does, it is amazing wood both in compression and tension!
    Thunder, Thanks man...
     jeffp51, I was shocked to feel little to no hand shock...
     Bob, thanks, I was nervous and kept trying to be patient with it...
     tattoo dave, LOL, thanks man...
     steve.b, Couldn't have done it without you man, thanks again for taking the time and interest to send me the Ocean Spray! I will try to do every piece justice ;)
                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 12:30:53 pm »
That is an elegantly simple segment of a perfect circle. I'm going to have to mess with some Holodiscus soon myself!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 12:46:17 pm »
Man, that looks like a piece of rubber!
Very nice bend on that stick... so small yet so pretty... :)

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 01:43:23 pm »
Nice bend! Now I know I can go a little more. I think your bowstring is a little long though >:D

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 03:20:27 pm »
   Thank you Bill...
   Thank you arachnid...
    DC, Lol man that tillering string is not used to being on short bows... ;D  Those were actually last stage tillering photo's with a dusty shirt...
                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »
Wow! I knew ocean spray could bend, but dang, you really went all out on this one :o

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 03:54:50 pm »
I was looking at your bow and thinking now that is really elegantly simple. Just gorgeous. Rich will be proud. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 07:28:10 pm »
Accipiter, I told steve b. that I was going to try and stress the wood, sort of an expirement...I have much faith in OS now. The sapling with its crowned/naturally trapped back and a flat belly is an awesome combo!

George, Thank you for the kind comment Sir, coming from you means a lot...
                                                                                                                            Don

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 09:20:43 pm »
Don, you nailed that one!  That is a perfect bend.  Ocean spray is on my list of woods to try.  You got a lot of bow out of that little piece of wood.  Great job.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 09:10:38 am »
  Thanks Howard, I credit the bows success to the wood...This stuff is amazing...I posted 1'' of set but picked up the bow 24hrs later and noticed it returned to almost dead straight! Ocean Spray is stubborn in a good way ;)
                                                                                                                Don

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 10:53:44 am »
Hey Don,
Really like it,  I have no experience with shorty's but if my first is as good as that one I'll be stoked....
Great job,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline half eye

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 11:01:52 am »
Don,
     I know what your saying about "good wood", but with all due respect that sapling didn't just fall over to the ground as a bow. As a matter of fact if the bow was a PhD thesis project we would all be callin you Doctor Burchett right now. For a bow of that length and weight to draw that much and have nearly no set at all it has to do more with the bowyer than the wood.....I know you wouldn't say it yourself so I did....You done better than just good sir that tiller is spotless, period.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 11:10:08 am »
  Thank you Bill and Rich for the kind comments, means a lot...
                                                                                                                     Don

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 11:22:45 am »
  Oh, wow!  I don't do a lot of short stuff, except for kids and recurves., but from what I understand that tiller is PERFECT!