Author Topic: So. What did you eat for Christmas dinner?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

So. What did you eat for Christmas dinner?
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:46:34 pm »
A friend of mine was talking with me the other day asking about what I was having for Christmas dinner.  I said I was as yet undecided since I had no idea what the final head count would be at the table.  He grinned a little and asked if ham was traditional with my family for the holidays.  I said with our Norwegian background, we generally had lutefisk on Christmas eve, but for Christmas dinner we really had no tradition. 

He went to his truck and brought out an 8 lb spiral cut ham and said he had me covered.  To say the least, he had caught me off guard.  I am not kidding or exaggerating when I say I was speechless. 

I ran into his business partner a day later and mentioned it to him.  He laughed and said this was not unusual.  The guy buys a truckload of hams and hands them out like gum!!! Some people get the joke and others don't.  Since you don't know him, I will have to clue you in to the joke. 

He's an observant Jew that keeps kosher. 

That was one dang good ham!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

Re: So. What did you eat for Christmas dinner?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:00:01 pm »
Well we had spiral cut ham, a 15# turkey, cornbread stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed taters and gravy, cranberry sauce, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, dinner rolls , corn, adult beverages and cider for the kids, that was the main meal near as i can figure,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:15:02 pm »
.... near as i can figure,

Yeah, food coma is rough, man.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:21:22 pm »
Oh i forgot the pie, pumpkin and pecan
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:40:54 pm »
We usually have the traditional ham and/ or turkey, but this year was different. This is the first time in over twenty years that we have had Christmas alone; No friends, no acquaintances, and neither side of the family. We had ribeye steak, cooked over a pecan wood fire.   Curtis

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 10:41:23 pm »
We had stuffed steak and butter roasted potatoes strips and baked beans. And we had a plate of cheese and deer trail Bologna and crackers before and after dinner also. Good eaten there.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:53:35 pm »
I had a bag of spicy salsa tortilla chips. Plowing snow is great! I did have Finnan Haddie for breakfast between plowing shifts though!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:20:30 am by JoJoDapyro »
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 12:13:42 am »
Wild Turkey wrapped in bacon,Venison roast in gravy,Tater salad,Macaroni salad,Ham,cheese,Cranberry sauce,Cornbread dressing,,and a vegatable tray.  Nanner pudding for desert  :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 01:18:15 am »
  This year we went a bit different for Christmas dinner. I looked for a nice beef tip roast but nothing looked good for the price.  My wife, daughter and myself all decided on fried chicken, so I cooked fried chicken, mashed potatoes and milk gravy, steamed broccoli and green beans. No pies or cookies this year. Don't ask why, I don't know.  We did have orange, grapefruit and apple salad though and washed it all down with a nice Bota Box Shiraz and Sierra Nevada pale ale. We had the left overs tonight for supper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 04:43:13 am »
Venison Neck roast slow cooked with oven roasted Taters, with a couple slices of buttered Pumpernickel bread. Makes some awesome sammiches for left-overs. Almost forgot - had a nice Dutch Apple Pie also ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 09:19:44 am »
We had a Christmas Eve gathering of friends and family, having a lot of finger foods. On Christmas morning we have a large breakfast with family, then get to open gifts. Dinner is snacking all day on left overs from the finger foods and all the sweet treats. We did things a little different, but no one went hungry and still enjoyed the carb overload and afternoon nap... :laugh:
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 12:01:38 pm »
I worked Christmas eve. I worked Christmas day. This year we broke from 'tradition" was me and wifey and youngest child. He did most of the cookin' Herbed Pork roast, savory yams, carrots and onions cooked together, green bean casserole, and baked pumpkin with apricot preserves.  No pies, he did make some spiced cookies though.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »
We had some of the traditional stuff(turkey and tators,develled eggs) but we also kicked up the soulfood this year, lol. Daughter-in-law made greans with fatback that were so good make ya wanna slap your gramma! 👍, yardbird wings, chicken&tomato pasta, stuffed jalapeno wrapped in bacon(aka atomic turds) and real cheese cake boyhowdy!  Goin to my Mommas for one more Christmas today and were doin chili and thats never bad. .. Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »
Nuclear Traditional Chicken Wings from Zaxby's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »
Tacos
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left