Author Topic: Christmas vacation projects ?  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Josh B

Christmas vacation projects ?
« on: December 30, 2014, 09:26:58 am »
I was home for a week and a half for Christmas, but got very little done in my shop.  I fixed one shotgun for my cousin.  Cleaned, lubed and inspected all the firearms that were gifted.  I even managed to straighten my ashe juniper war bow stave and do a little work on my daughter's new bow.  One other project was a game board for my family.  I think my wife called the game aggravation or some such as that.  It involves dice and marbles and has the power to turn my sweet little girls into firebreathing, bloodthirsty demons while they play.  I made the board out of an 8 foot poplar 1"x6".  It has a side for four players and a side for six players.  What all did you get accomplished?  Josh

Offline Marks

Re: Christmas vacation projects ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:51:33 am »
AHHH! I love aggravation! My Grandma/Grandpa use to have a board and we played every time we went to her house which was only a few times a year. Its funny how something like that brings out a whole slough of memories. Grandma made the worlds best chicken and dumplings and strawberry cake. I'm sure the cake was just a box mix with store bought icing but as a kid it was the only place I got it and it was amazing. Grandpa collected arrowheads and had buckets of them. He also tumbled/polished stones. I digress. Thanks for posting. I hope yall have as much fun with the game as I did as a kid.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 11:13:47 am »
I love that game Josh! We called it Chinese checkers! My dad made one a couple of years ago for us for Christmas.

I have been working on a project for my niece. It's an old entertainment center that I'm turning into a kids play kitchen. Pretty cool project. Wish I would have gotten it done before Christmas but their birthdays are next month anyways. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 11:46:31 am »
My grandparents had one of those! It was wore right out by the time we all grew up. I messed with a yew R/D over my week off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »
It is a fun game.  I guess I've been missing out all these years.  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:58:23 pm »
I had five days off and between the house remodel, the wife draging me out to finish gift shopping, killing mice that got in the stored decorations, and cooking christmas dinner i managed to finish tillering a black locust bow, thats about it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 09:20:46 pm »
I finished up a Bad A$$ Osage bow for me :). We called that game Chinese checkers, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 09:47:56 pm »
We call it wahoo and it does get vicious at times.  We still play on a board my grandmother made who knows how many years ago.  It has been well used. 

I did some cleaning out of an old house on my new property.  Getting the left behind junk out so tear down can begin this spring. 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 05:04:12 am »
I'm an Old Fart, but We used to call it Chinese Checkers too. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 06:25:18 am »
Milton Bradley made that game commercially if I am not mistaken.  It was called Aggravation on the commercial version.  We spent many long hours playing that game in the winter at my grandparents.  When the store bought board wore out, my uncle started making them like yours Gun Doc.  Sadly, he passed away just before Christmas this year.  A few of his game boards are still around.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 07:22:04 am »
In my experience, Aggravation & Chinese Checkers are different games.  The boards look somewhat similar.

My grandparents brought the Aggravation game back to Indiana after visiting relatives in CA.  This was in the mid-50's and they  called it Murder.  Grandma made the game board from fabric and used poker chips in place of the marbles.  In that form, it was quite portable.  She & Grandpa would usually tote it along on visits to our house and they, Mom, & Dad usually had a "lively" game.  While playing that game was the ONLY time I heard Grandma curse!  Dad later made the game board from plywood.  I copied my remembrance of his design a few months ago.  My kids and their kids now enjoy playing it.

Retirement is perennial vacation.  But immediately after Christmas I finished a target-shooting ash bow for the son-in-law.  I gave it to him Christmas eve 75% finished.  Finished it couple days later.  Then we spent the better part of an afternoon shooting.  He just may leave his compound in rearview mirror.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all ya!!!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 10:00:36 am »
I remember Chinese checkers as a 6 sided star full of spaces. Each player started with one of the star arms full of marbles while the middle was empty. to win you had to get all of your marbles across the board into the arm on the other side first.

Aggravation- you work your marbles around the board and if you get landed on you start over.

Its funny how everyone seems to remember this game from their Grandparents. Looks like the game has taken a major decline. Keep it going Gun Doc!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 12:01:45 pm »
VA what? No vacation here. I worked Christmas eve evening, christmas day, the day after christmas, new years eve day and new years day. My well pump quit working just before christmas finally got that took care of - a wire busted about 6 inches above the pump. only $400 in parts and my, my wife's and my neighbors labor later I have water in my house again!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 01:25:09 pm »
Here is a sneak peek at my holiday project. Hope to get it painted pink today!

Got all the primer on last night. I've got to make some fridge shelves and finish making the little burners for the stove. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Tower

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 12:11:59 pm »
Hey I haven't played WaHoo in a long time.  Sweet board!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!