Author Topic: Accuracy for most humane shots with a self bow  (Read 17669 times)

Offline jrmeza

Accuracy for most humane shots with a self bow
« on: December 30, 2014, 05:24:08 pm »
Hey there PA board, I got some more noobie question! These however pertain more to hunting. I have never hunted, and I am just starting out on archery, my first shots ever fired coming from my own self bow. I like to jump right into the thick of it I guess! Also I am not in a hurry, It's winter already and I just started shooting, maybe next year...

ANYWAY, I am wondering how accurate one should aspire to be to start hunting when shooting a simple stick-bow off the hand and with no sights. I read on another websight that they feel comfortable taking shots on whitetails from 40 yrds away, too which I say HA. However that was not a traditional bow website, they they may have sights and more modern recurves. Maybe that makes a difference. I mean, where I am at right now, I think I could definitely hit a whitetail from that far, but I just don't see how they can comfortably aim for a clean heart shot at that kind of distance.

Right now, I am consistently getting within the 7.5 inch diameter circle on my target at 35 FEET, with an occasional flub of a shot. And maybe 1 or 2 out of 6 shots will be a bulls eye which is 2.5 inches in diameter. Is that any good for a noobie with no sites or arrow rest? What accuracy at what distance is recommended to even think about beginning to hunt with bows like these?

Oh and, since I am new to archery in general, is it recommended to get a cheap fiberglass bow with arrow rest  for practice while I am still learning?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:27:26 pm by jrmeza »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Accuracy for most humane shots with a self bow
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:43:17 pm »
I would say any deer within 35 ft of you is as good as in the skillet.  Keep up the practice and add a few yards every now and then.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jrmeza

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:27 pm »
Haha thanks, i once read someone say something rediculous like "5 out of 6 shots for me is a bullseye, thet one shot that isn't is the reason that i dont hunt" that really made me put a critical eye on myself.

Do we primitive archers typically take 40 yard shots? Or is that more for them space age bows?  :P

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:41:07 pm »
40 yards would be way too far for me to shoot at a deer. My ideal distance is 12yds to 15yds with 20 being a maximum. There are times when the perfect situation occurs but you'll never know it until it is over. These are the same distances I'd use shooting a glass longbow or recurve, not just a selfbow.
 To keep from hitting the bulls eye only 5 out of six times would be to only shoot one arrow at a time and retrieving it before shooting again. That's usually all you get during a hunt. If you make sure that one arrow hits where you are looking you will be ready for the hunt. It takes intense concentration to be able to split that hair over the kill zone.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jrmeza

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 11:38:36 pm »
Wow nice advice Pat, i think ill practise the way you explained before i consider hunting. But while im still getting my feet wet, i think i just shoot the full quiver to save time practicing  :laugh: it is reassuring to hear you prefer to shoot from a max distance of 20 yard, i thought i was weak stuff when i heard people shooting at 40 xD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 11:58:24 pm »
Close game makes for a better hunter.  ;)  Having a deer within 15 yards, and he doesn't know you are there...you win, and in his back yard.  8)    You will have to collect the trophy yourself with good hunting skills and good shooting.
You do have to have the basics fundamental down so you don't have to think to draw and shoot. You concentrate of where the arrow will go and let your subconscious mind do all the work...but that takes lots of practice and lots of concentration. Try to make every shot perfect. Don't stack all the arrows in the bulls eye. Find imperfections, smears, holes and put your next arrow there. Them move to another spot. For me the arrows stacked in the middle of the target breaks my concentration. Too many reference points for my pea brain. Aim small, miss small.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jrmeza

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 12:33:53 am »
Yea you have a point there! You know my target has a main target in the center and 4 "mini" targets on each corner, perhaps I should start trying to hit all 5 hit points for variety, and that way I know its not just a fluke shot. After all, if I keep aiming at the same spot, eventually a few will be bulls eyes, so changing it up this way I know that I got that particular point BECAUSE I MEANT TO!  >:D

Thanks a lot Pat, I like to ask the PA board because growing up, my immediate family never had anything to do with hunting, so this is wear I turn to for guidance!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:07:39 am »
Like you I didn't come from a hunting family. I didn't start hunting until I was almost 30.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:57 pm »
Personally I aim to stalk within 30yds or closer BUT I practice out to 40-45yds or more. I hunt out West (AZ) and stalks under 20yds is dang tough if not near impossible. I find most of MY are stalks are between 20-32yds. So I practice a lot further than most. This doesn't mean I shoot long ranges in a hunt situation but it affords me Confidence.
I usually practice with 3 arrows. Not shooting from the same stance or distance but moving after every shot. I don't know if others do this but just through my constant practice I usually find that certain arrow(s) with good flight characteristics.
You'll find at longer ranges the flight characteristics of a good or bad arrow intensifies. For example I'll make a few arrows, shoot all of'em. After a few shooting sessions and noting which arrows shoot best. I'll choose only those special arrows to hunt with . The others arrows under 20yds I don't notice much of a difference.
But aside from equipment I also practice stalking. Simply moving and developing foot placement in gravel, rock or brush. In open country I approach my target in a side to side step. This prevents the legs from being seen as easily, keeps the human form to a minimum even when moving until you get into good cover. If you ever noticed in open country the first sign of a human being is seeing leg movement.
Its taken me alotta blown stalks and just being in the "woods" to develop good hunting skills and techniques. Keep practicing and growing that confidence.
Forever making arrows!

Offline jrmeza

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 06:34:15 pm »
Wow Apache, you must be really good at shooting, I cannot imagine shooting from that kind of distance! But you know, I am probably just being my usual young and eager self, it just takes time and practice right? I suppose if I can be accurate at 12 yrds with only a month or so of experience, with time and patience, that would be expected to grow substantially. It's just that you seem so far away from me at my skill level now, it sounds like an unachievable goal to me. But I am glad that I know what goal I should be shooting for and what I can aspire to grow to!

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 06:40:24 pm »
Shooting is half the battle ;).
Forever making arrows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 07:12:52 pm »
I also believe in longer range practice. When you get good at longer range you are real good at shorter distances.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 08:04:18 pm »
Most of my game shooting is less then 16 yards, which I'm very, very, comfortable at. The laid back club I shoot at tried a little experiment one of the weekends most of us were shooting. We have 3-D targets set up in some thick vegetation, hunting situations down here. One of the members had a High Dollar, laser range finder. Everybody ignored the stakes and shot from where you felt the most comfortable. The only score we kept was if you made a killing shot or wounded or missed, and recorded the range you shot from. You could also move left or right to get a better angle shot like you were stalking or would really try to shoot.

You would have probably been suprised at most of the Kill distances recorded, very few over 20 yards.

My yard is small and the longest shots I shoot is 20 yards, but, from the door of my shop is right at 16 yards. The deer I shot at Pappy's this year was close to 16 yards, the coyote I shot in Florida with my Glass bow was 14 yards and most of the hogs I shoot are usually less then ten yards, stalking.

I suggest shoot what you feel comfortable shooting and don't get lured into the talk from all of the Gadget Boys until you see them shoot without all of the accessories.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jrmeza

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 11:29:19 pm »
Heck yea Mullet, thats the kinda cold hard facts i was hoping to hear. That is really reassuring! So what I gather from all of yalls advice is patience and practice, practise them longshots, but keep in mind a better hunter can get in closer and most safe and humane shots will probably be made in less than 20 yrds. Wow thanks a lot for all of the advice guys, and Happy New year btw, to many more shots, bows, and deers to take home!!!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 11:05:35 pm »
I set a limit of 15  yards when hunting with a selfbow.  I set up a few stands and a ground blind within 15 yards of heavily used trails.  Quartering away shots are nice.  Both of my primitive kills have were quartering away when I took the shot.  Make sure if you are hunting from an elevated position that you practice from that height.  Close up shots out of a stand really mess with my aim.  Good luck and post some pictures when you get one. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left