Author Topic: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?  (Read 72119 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Founding a new worldwide Primitive flightbow federation?
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2015, 10:19:42 am »
Micheal
I'm just trying to wrap my head around the problem of getting more people involved.  Most people with a passing interest in flight shooting will not bother to go to the trouble of locating high quality linen and these are the people you want to try and captivate.  Making the rules user friendly is a big step in acquiring more interest. 

Quite frankly, having such rules as no overdraws, no handle deeper then 2", no overlays more than 2" is absurd.  Primitive man would have done whatever it takes to do the job.  I can see how splitting a limb and then gluing it back together would be a no no as you are basically making a lam bow which would just move it to the next category.

Rules...  I remember when I belonged to a gun club.  The club had a volume of rules, you can't do this, you can't do that.  Then they would turn around and complain about Government regulations.  Oddly most of the rules the gun club had were identical to the Government's rules.  Hypocrisy does not sit well with me
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2015, 11:51:47 am »
       I see no reason why any records in this organization under this organizations rules would have to be comparable to any other organizations rules. Giving shooters easy access to an entry point in flight shooting I see as a major objective with this organization. Switching over to the fita flight shoots would be only a minor adjustment. I expect I will continue to shoot fita and I am hoping this new organization will improve attendance at fita matches. If this works out as planned we will have established a whole new generation of flight shooters. I strongly favor drafting rules allowing for easier access to the sport as long as we are all playing by the same rules.

Offline Jules

« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2015, 02:20:51 pm »
I'm all for keeping the entry level as simple as possible, this is the same in pretty much every sport (thus the introductery division). But as you progress in a sport and you want to compete on a higher level this usually means abiding to certain rules. I found that these are mostly in place to promote fairplay instead of restricting the athlete. I'm not saying we should go overboard and pin-down every detail but have enough of them so people don't 'break the game'.

Offline Badger

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2015, 02:28:16 pm »
  Jules, I think we are on the same page. Things like string material and modern adhesives are about the only real compromises I can see we would be making. Modern adhesives do not add to the performance and likewise minimum string weights could be imposed to keep the advantage of modern strings to a minimum. Afterall we would only be competing within our own organization based on our own rules.

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2015, 07:15:45 am »
The poll- posts will speed up things a lot, great idea!

Marc and Jules, we're on the same page too, keeping the entry level as simple as possible.

Just for to think about: what about a "one class fits all"? Only weight classes and a footbow- class.

I guess we should think about being an organizer or do we just set the rules so that records could be claimed/recognized and posted?What will be the verifications?

Again, I need pics and videos.

Alan, I guess you've done a lot of pics and videos at the Salt Flats, would you be so kind to leave some of them for the site?

Anybody wants to post his favourite flightbow or flightarrow and tell us notes about it, pics very welcome!!!!

Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2015, 07:57:48 am »
You are welcomed to take any pics from my blog. A search for flight arrows will produce some results.
This post may be of interest too.
BTW... I don't claim to be at all experienced at flight shooting, or matching arrows to bows.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/curved-profile-feather-shaper.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2015, 08:21:43 am »
Here's 3 pictures that someone sent me, don't remember who, of Steve shooting one of my bows.  This is from early 2000, don't quite remember the date but I'm sure Steve does

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2015, 09:00:48 am »
  Michael, I have a video but it is long and unedited. I have no clue how to edit.

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2015, 05:34:47 pm »
It would be great if the primitive set of rules was adopted by Fita as well. (then I would not have to travel to the other side of the planet to compete) In general I think that building on the existing rules is the best idea. - or even just putting our energy into the events that already exist.

As to the strings, perhaps it could be allowed to compete with a synthetic string if it had a certain number of strands or was of a certain diameter - say at least so that it would weigh 50% more than a good linnen string. Then there would be nothing to gain, but also no bows to be lost due to string breakage. I'm one of those who fear the natural strings. On the other hand, I could just make a very thick and strong linnen string for my bows...

Offline adb

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:55 pm »
It would be great if the primitive set of rules was adopted by Fita as well. (then I would not have to travel to the other side of the planet to compete) In general I think that building on the existing rules is the best idea. - or even just putting our energy into the events that already exist.

As to the strings, perhaps it could be allowed to compete with a synthetic string if it had a certain number of strands or was of a certain diameter - say at least so that it would weigh 50% more than a good linnen string. Then there would be nothing to gain, but also no bows to be lost due to string breakage. I'm one of those who fear the natural strings. On the other hand, I could just make a very thick and strong linnen string for my bows...

Now that's the best thing I've heard on strings so far! Allow any string material, but have some sort of bonus (lower string weight, or less strands)) if you use a natural fiber string. I also fear natural fiber strings, and would likely be uninterested if I had to use them.

If I couldn't shoot my warbows without FF strings, I wouldn't do it. If the warbow society shoots required natural fiber strings, I wouldn't be involved.

The flip side of that coin would be to standardize all strings for all classes of bows. All bows must use FF, and then specify either minimum string weight or number of strands.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:31:15 pm by adb »

Offline Badger

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2015, 06:49:40 pm »
  Kvillo, one of the biggest issues is having more events. You could have your own event if you could get two other guys. It wouldn't matter if fita changed rules they don't hold enough events in enough places. I feel this organization would serve to support the fita organization and help it to grow. Our regular fligth rules are almost the same as the fita rules with only a couple of minor proposed changes. The traditional aspect of this group would take the place of the broadhead event we hold in the US and make it a bit more inclusive.

I think the only proposed changes o the rules in regular flite is to lump together simple comp and some of the complex comp bows and possibly allow modern string material if it met a minimum weight requirement or diameter which could be eyeballed.

Offline avcase

« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2015, 02:31:17 am »
Michael,
Yes, I have lots of pictures and video that I am willing to share. It would take some time to go through it all.

Kviljo,
We are working on a proposal to incorporate our U.S. flight rules with FITA/World Archery, so that could open up the possibility of shooting the same primitive flight events in Europe that we currently shoot each year at the Bonneville Salt Flats. I'm sure the discussion over natural material strings will come up again.

Alan

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2015, 07:22:37 am »
Thanx Marc, Derek and Alan for sharing pics.
I'm glad to see Kviljo joining in.

I think we should fix the rules first, as we want them, whether they will match FITA- rules or not. Huge organisations are often acting very slow.

Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2015, 08:01:40 am »
Soon as you folks get this ready let me know as I feel sure we could put an event together near me
What size of an area do I need to start looking for to hold an event ?
I am not super busy the month of July and the wheat crop should be off leaving some large areas open for a bit
Ready set go !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2015, 08:11:14 am »
Buckeye, I think the last major hurdle is deciding on how to measure. We will start that maybe today and by the end up febuary should have everything drawn up.