Author Topic: Bow blunders..........  (Read 10100 times)

Offline chamookman

Bow blunders..........
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:50:38 am »
OK Guys and Gals - time to fess up and regale Us with Your worst Bow Boner. Mine was during a Bow Class. I was showing how to file in string groves and had a students stave in My hands. As I was Yakking and filing I heard chuckles coming from both Gary and Matt - yep I had filed them in backwards :-[. Good thing the stave was plenty long and quickly fixed, while I was wiping the Egg from My face  :laugh:. What say You ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow blunders..........
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:32:27 am »
I was building a recurve years ago and bent one tip up and one down.  :o  At least nobody else was there.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 09:53:40 am »
Mine has to be ruining a perfect ERC stave Eddie traded me, not long ago. I reduced the profile to 2", THEN reduced sapwood..................bad idea gang. You will end up with a super duper narrow bow by the time your sapwood is reduced to 1/4-3/8" thick from 1". That hurt as it was a beauty of a stick of ERC. I ended up tillering out a sweet 70" bow full of chrysals.......:(
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:12:53 am »
One thing I do occasionally is to reduce the belly of a stave to an inch or so of thickness before I chase a ring on the back to speed up the drying process. I have learned the hard way this is a very bad idea, I often find a flaw in the back that forces me to go down multiple grains and end up with a stave that is kiddie bow thickness when I get done.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 12:40:36 pm »
ooooh!  :'( That was the prettiest piece of ERC I've ever seen. I didn't do anything to a bow, but I did chop enough feathers for a dozen arrows before I realized I chopped them all backwards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »
I have problems with bows jumping off my bench when I turn around.  Especially reflexed bows.  My biggest goof was burning a bunch of osage staves when I first started cutting bow wood because I thought the rings were to thin for bows.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 03:46:26 pm »
Mine is that I still haven't learned to stop trying to make bows. I have cut nocks backwards, almost made to male splices on a set of billets ( wood doesnt swing that way ) cut the shelf on the wrong end, cut shelfs.... the list is long and hard earned.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 03:47:34 pm »
Recently I cut a Z style handle only to find out I did it for a left hand shooter.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 03:49:37 pm »
You guys are great. Keep'm coming! Just what I needed. best therapy I can think of. :-*

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 06:44:35 pm »
Can I add another one to my list?  Today I made some wood jaw pads for a vise.  I had them fitting perfect.  All I had to do was counter sink the holes and install them.  Yep, I counter sunk the wrong side of the pads  ::)

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:02:06 pm »
Cut in the arrow shelf for a leftie.  And cut in a shelf on center when I wanted it over 1" above center.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 07:03:13 pm »
I once tossed about half the nails in a box away because the head was on the wrong side....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 07:19:37 pm »
That's a good one sleek??  ???

I have cut the string nocks in backwards twice in a row.....on the same bow!!!! duh  :-[ :-[   :laugh:
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 07:39:19 pm »
For you guys that like to cut nocks in backwards Mississippi Dave invented a fancy way of fixing that mistake at the Classic last year.  Your string has to have a big loop for it to work right.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:13 pm »
Yep...that's better than a bowers knot, that shouldn't slip.....off.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking