Author Topic: starting a magyar bow. step 1  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Renacs

starting a magyar bow. step 1
« on: January 07, 2015, 08:34:39 pm »
Ok. i'v been home for a couple of weeks now and im ready to start out my horn bow.  The material i have is horn and sinew.  The horn i have is from James Parker. Split already.  So im going to trim it and flatten it. From there what is the next step. P.S. Im intimidated with this process. One other thing what is the total thickness of the horn that i've been shooting for?   As i go along i'll post pics and we can do tnis together.

Offline Parnell

Re: starting a magyar bow. step 1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 08:56:17 am »
Have you accessed the Karpowicz book, yet?
1’—>1’

Offline Renacs

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:21:04 am »
no, I've only found it in German.  But going to move forward anyways. This morning i should be at a stopping point for a BBO that I've been working . Then I'm going to cut the horn.   From than point i'm hoping to  tackle my core. I have some decent ash, hickory, and white oak. The Sugar maple that i have harvested turned out to be junk. Do you think any of those wood would be usable or should i hold out for something different?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »
I've seen Ash referred to.  Are you considering a 3 piece or 5 piece design?
1’—>1’

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:27:53 pm »
I talked to Adam a couple of months ago.  He is hoping to have his 2nd edition released sometime this summer.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 04:33:09 pm »
I talked to Adam a couple of months ago.  He is hoping to have his 2nd edition released sometime this summer.

That's good news!
1’—>1’

Offline Renacs

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:05:20 pm »
 im not sure about a 3 or 5 piece  design.   I guess a 3 piece design.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:37:47 am »
Although it's another two splices to cut it's much, much easier to find perfect wood for a 5 piece core. Handle, 2 bending limb pieces and then two for the tips.
What draw weight are you after? And draw length?
Get your core made first then work down the horn.
Do you know about the core basically working as a form when it comes to gluing the horn?
With that in mind I'd want the grip 1 inch thick, the bending limbs around 3/4 and the tip sections the same. Also you want to be cutting the parts a good 1/4 - 5/16ths over width (apart from the base of the tip section wants to be finished dimension). Cut the limb splices first, glue up then cut tip splices. Re-establishing a true centerline inbetween.