Author Topic: Deleted images in older threads? ? ?  (Read 5251 times)

blackhawk

Deleted images in older threads? ? ?
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:51:06 pm »
Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I was perusing thru some older threads and a bunch of the pictures have been deleted by the administration... This includes a lot of the older bom winners and the collages,and the pics to that persons original thread about the bow. And some of the folks that haven't been online here in a good while, but posted and made some killer bows has been deleted as well. WTF!!!! I love to do Google searches and look at all the threads that pertain to my interest for inspiration,thoughts etc...and finding a bunch of the images content deleted by the admin   is a bit annoying IMO.  It certainly doesn't help new folks looking for good examples to try and make or use an idea or part of someone elses work that a person likes and wants to try.

Sorry for the rant... I'm just a bit upset to find this has happened. LOTS was lost and deleted. Sorry,but that's just not cool.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Deleted images in older threads? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:44 pm »
+1 Blackhawk
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:24:22 pm »
Holy crap!!! It just isn't bows....its in all the categories...even in the "how tos and buildalongs". What good are those threads without the images? This is getting even more disturbing.  >:(  :-\

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:40:53 pm »
I noticed that somewhat.  Maybe they have the pics uploaded to Photobucket.  On some other websites you will see that but it will have a blank square image with the Photobucket name.   Not sure about PA..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:58:56 pm »
Post some links to the threads and I'll look into it.  A lot of older threads have photobucket accounts that are no longer active, so that may account for some of the missing pictures, as bow101 mentioned.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:24:31 pm »
I know what you mean I've noticed some missing stuff as well
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 07:11:47 am »
I'm almost 100% sure its not a photo bucket deletion thing.  When that happens a little blank square remains or question mark. This says [attachment deleted by admin]  .....there is still some members on here who are still pretty active from awhile back and some of there stuff has gone missing and I'm pretty sure they didn't delete there stuff. A couple of them are actually moderators here. But who knows I could b wrong. And maybe the admin just deleted those broken links from a photo host delete

Here's a weird example. Most all of Ryanos bows are missing,but I did find one that wasn't. If the photo host site account was deleted all of his stuff would be gone. Its a pretty random thing,and seems to be in threads from 2010 and before. Anyone who's been around for that long and has threads with images needs to check there stuff.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 08:19:11 am »
Looks like its with attached pictures and not url inserted pictures from photobucket.  I bet its something with the forum host.  Maybe PA has an attachment storage limit.  When a new picture is attached in a thread it deletes one from the old threads.  I don't know, just a guess  :-\  I don't think the mod's would go back and delete certain pictures out of old threads.  I'm sure they have better things to do with their time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:23:54 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 08:35:49 am »
After doing a little research into simplemachines forums I'm thinking it is a problem with the attachment pruning setting.  Looks like there is a limit to the total amount of attachments the forum can store. 

I copied and pasted this from their site:

Max attachment directory space - Specify how large in capacity the upload area can store. This is useful for servers with limited web space.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:39:27 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:56:02 am »
Good sleuthing Clint...that was one of my thoughts that its a server thing. That sucks if it is. And if so then more is gonna continue to be lost. Is there a way to stop this,or get those images back? In my opinion something needs to be done if the server host is deleting our stuff. Its important content to what we do.

Good thing I use photo bucket, and another reason why to use a photo host site over using the forums attachments links.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:20:38 am »
The best way to stop it is to start using a hosting website, something I and others have been recommending for several years.  What would happen if the server was allowed to store too much info, and pictures use up a lot of space, is the website would become slow as mud in Winter. I've seen it happen in the past
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 09:31:36 am »
Marc can the attachment link feature be deleted so people HAVE to use a photo host site? Or would that delete everything if it was? If not then images will stop being deleted.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 12:04:13 pm »
That could possibly be done, I don't have the knowledge on how to do it, but some people would most likely complain.   All I can say is that if you don't care enough about your pics then take your chances with the PA server.  I only upload those pics that don't really have anything to do with archery using this system.  That way it's no big deal if/when they go.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mhof86

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »
I would guess it is server side automation not someone goig in and trying to free up server space or something. The picture format you upload in (not sure on max size but I upload in 600x400) doesnt take an insane amount of space. That being said years of pic heavy threads probably adds up to a decent amount.

My suggestion to people is dont delete your copy after you upload to PA. Back up everything and if in a few years if someone asks for a picture you posted but was deleted just upload it again.