Author Topic: Tricks for removing sapwood from winter cut hickory?  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Aaron H

Tricks for removing sapwood from winter cut hickory?
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:48:05 am »
I have some hickory that I cut back in September.  When I cut it I was hoping the sap was still running, well it wasn't.  The bark was stuck.  So now I am trying to remove the sapwood and it is proving to be a major pain.  Anyone have any tricks or advise?

gutpile

Re: Tricks for removing sapwood from winter cut hickory?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 10:59:26 am »
first off you are trying to remove bark, not sapwood, sapwood is what you will build your bow out of with hickory.... much easier to remove bark from summer cut..just pops off...not sure of any tricks to try...maybe steam...but don't bet on it....draw knife is probably your best bet now..sorry...gut

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:12:12 am »
A old spoon works well, it scrapes off without digging the wood, also I've heard of putting in the bathroom for a week or two and it will semi rehydrate
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 11:19:54 am »
We're talking about the cambium layer correct?  I just did it with some elm I cut too early in the spring.  I just soaked a towel in really hot water and laid in on a limb for about 20 minutes- 1/2 an hour. Then,attack it with a spoon.   I found it worked quite well.  When it starts to dry out and becomes hard to scrape with the spoon, simply wet it again.   You will need to set aside your stave for a couple days after as this definitely adds moisture. 

Mike.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 11:41:34 am »
Yea, my bad. I meant scraping of the inner bark to get to the cambium layer.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:44:19 am »
The stave it's still very green, as I just cut it back in September.  I just wanted to get it roughed out to speed up the drying process

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:21:35 pm »
As it dries out it may sand off. I had a Sassafras stave that I had a lot of cambium left and someone told me about trying to sand instead of the draw knife. I left some so it gives it a good look, I think.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:44:08 pm »
I've been able to peel massive pieces of bark off of winter cut hickory with a draw knife. Just peels right off once you get the edge under it.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:48:54 pm »
Yea, with this being my first time working with hickory I worked most of the bark off already with a draw knife.  So I am left with small non continuous pieces of inner bark. So unfortunately large pieces peeling off is no longer an option.

Thanks guys, I believe I will give the spoon trick a shot with a little steam

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 04:35:45 pm »
You don't have to get all of the inner bark off. You can leave some. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 04:43:40 pm »
Yea, I think I will leave some George.  I like the looks of it with some bark left on.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:51:39 pm »
   Once I start getting close to the wood I use a rasp and just rasp until I see a little white. I grind the corners of my scraper into a radius that is good at getting the bark out of the furroughs.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 08:36:49 pm »
this thread probably contains some of the most handy tricks for working on winter cut hickory that i've ever seen. I have a bunch sitting on a rack myself that I was dreading to work on. Think I'm gonna try tackling them now.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 09:17:18 pm »
Cut it in the spring...;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:41 pm »
I had 21 pairs of billets to process in the late winter last year from a huge hickory that fell in a neighbors yard.  After a billet or two, I figured out it was going to take me half of forever to do them by hand, so I resorted to my band saw for help.  The bark on these hickory pieces was an inch thick, so working with care I was able to remove the biggest majority of the bark.  It saved me hours of work.  Once the bulk of the bark was removed, I finished them off with my draw knife and scrapers.  It worked well for me in that situation.
Drew - Boone, NC