Author Topic: Sharpie vs India ink  (Read 11300 times)

Offline DC

Sharpie vs India ink
« on: January 20, 2015, 03:17:10 pm »
I think I read on here that India Ink lasts longer than a Sharpie. I have spine, weight and balance point marked on my arrows with a Sharpie and it starts to fade inside a month. I'm not sure if it's wearing off or fading. Does it last longer with a coating of some kind? Does India ink need a coating? Which do you prefer?

Offline bow101

Re: Sharpie vs India ink
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:23:43 pm »
Use clear coat of spray polyurethane.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:41:16 pm »
Sharpie will fade over time no mater what you cover it with. I use India ink to mark my bows now. It does need to be sealed but it will never fade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:48:04 pm »
Does it have to be a solvent based coating for India ink? Does water based poly smear it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »
Once it is dry you can add solvent, water or oil based finish with no problems, at least from my experience.  Test it out with different finishes on a scrap and see what works best for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:47:42 pm »
Thanks guys

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 10:37:46 pm »
Sharpie will fade over time no mater what you cover it with. I use India ink to mark my bows now. It does need to be sealed but it will never fade.
Thanks for the tip Pat, not aware of the sharpie fading.  Where do I buy India Ink and is it available in a pen..?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:17 am »
Most arts and craft stores or office supply stores have India ink. I use a nib pen or a quill pen with the India ink.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 03:31:52 pm »
Thanks for the tip Pat, not aware of the sharpie fading.  Where do I buy India Ink and is it available in a pen..?

I've been looking for a pen. They are available, but it looks like art stores only. Michaels has ink but not pens. Same with Staples. I'll look around town today.
I'm pretty sure I need a pen. I can still remember the godawful mess I made with a quill in grade 4.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 07:54:40 pm »
You could have improved since the 4th grade.  ;)

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 08:28:16 pm »
Not according to my wife ;) Handwriting is way down on my list of abilities. I looked around town with no luck as far as India Ink pens. I got a Staedtler Permanent at the art store. The lady there says she is getting in some ID pens that are used for labeling your stuff. Supposed to be permanent. She brought up a point that my arrows are bamboo and it has a smooth/waxy? coating. Maybe my labeling is mostly rubbing off. I'll try sanding it lightly

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 11:49:04 pm »
A light sanding with fine sand paper will allow the ink to stick to the cane.

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 08:20:16 am »
DC: I picked up a few long handled India Ink writing pens at a yard sale years ago and never used them.  You want one just PM your address and I will send one off to you.

These pens are the type that you dip into the india ink bottle.

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 10:05:44 am »
Not according to my wife ;) Handwriting is way down on my list of abilities. I looked around town with no luck as far as India Ink pens. I got a Staedtler Permanent at the art store. The lady there says she is getting in some ID pens that are used for labeling your stuff. Supposed to be permanent. She brought up a point that my arrows are bamboo and it has a smooth/waxy? coating. Maybe my labeling is mostly rubbing off. I'll try sanding it lightly

Sometimes I would lose my brain if it was not encased....... ::)    I always thought a  Permanent was a felt pen.  So a Sharpie is a felt not a  Permanent; Correct..?   ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 10:56:33 am »
Permanent means the ink doesn't wash out so a Sharpie is permanent but not when it comes to UV light; it fades over time.