Author Topic: When is a self bow a self bow......  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
When is a self bow a self bow......
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:37:49 am »
Hi chaps
Been pondering this for a while. Got a shed load of hazelwood for self bows waiting to be made and was thinking.....
Just how much can you put on it, and it still be a self bow?
For example....could you add horn nocks, arrow pass or rest, padded grip etc and it still be a selfie????
Ta
Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: When is a self bow a self bow......
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:41:46 am »
Any bow that is made with a single piece of wood, a spliced handle is also acceptable, is considered a selfbow. The other things you mentioned are just accessories.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 02:44:44 pm »
Any bow that is made with a single piece of wood, a spliced handle is also acceptable, is considered a selfbow. The other things you mentioned are just accessories.  ;)

+1

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »
As long as a single layer of material is doing the work back to belly I'd consider it a selfbow. Any number of splices still seem like a selfbow to me as the spliced material is doing its own work from back to belly.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 03:10:06 pm »
After it flings about 600 arrows, just like any other wood bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 03:36:12 pm »
I did a Hazel bow from a stave that was so skinny it needed a block glued on the belly to stiffen the grip so it could be narrowed. I used some from the same log (you couldn't tell unless you really studied it. I'd consider that still a self bow...
What if the riser block was a contrasting wood? As the working limbs were all one bit of wood is it still a self bow, what does the team think?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline huisme

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 03:46:04 pm »
I did a Hazel bow from a stave that was so skinny it needed a block glued on the belly to stiffen the grip so it could be narrowed. I used some from the same log (you couldn't tell unless you really studied it. I'd consider that still a self bow...
What if the riser block was a contrasting wood? As the working limbs were all one bit of wood is it still a self bow, what does the team think?
Del

Does the block do any work? It holds the grip stiff, but is energy transferred via its medium?

I've always looked purely at the working limbs when asked about what a selfbow is. Maybe I've made myself look silly :P
50#@26"

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 03:48:32 pm »
I feel it's a selfbow as long as the bending portion of the limbs is a single piece of wood. Although I do feel there are some exceptions in my opinion. These would be 3 piece takedowns and bows with spliced siyah's. Don't ask me why they're exceptions!  :laugh:

Offline huisme

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 03:52:15 pm »
I feel it's a selfbow as long as the bending portion of the limbs is a single piece of wood. Although I do feel there are some exceptions in my opinion. These would be 3 piece takedowns and bows with spliced siyah's. Don't ask me why they're exceptions!  :laugh:

I've always thought siyah's didn't make the bow a composite/lam/not-selfbow, but they are commonly associated with horn bows. As for three piece takedowns, I don't see how that's less selfbow than two piece ;)
50#@26"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »
From the glossary in the back of TBBIII..."Self bow: In the strict old definition, an unbacked wooden bow made from a single piece of wood. Today, self bow is used to mean any unbacked wooden bow, whether made from one or two pieces of wood."
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 04:36:29 pm »
Pat, why not include three pieces? If I have a selfbow handle with the limbs cut off and two takedown sleeves in their place and make limbs for it how is that less selfbow than the selfbows that use similar sleeves? Why include handle blocks, grip back buildups, side buildups, multi-lam buildups to stiffen an otherwise bendy handle, but not such a handle that detaches from selfbow limbs?
50#@26"

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 05:18:55 pm »
I'm down with the classical and modern definitions listed.  My question is, do you guys still consider it a self bow, if it does not have self-tips?

Offline huisme

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »
I'm down with the classical and modern definitions listed.  My question is, do you guys still consider it a self bow, if it does not have self-tips?

Sure, the overlays don't store any energy, they just make sure the tips stay intact and the string stays in place.
50#@26"

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:29 pm »
I would say that as long as the energy storing part of the bow (limbs) are one piece then it is considered a self bow. 3 piece bow count.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »
interesting
I always though a self bow had to have self nocks etc and no modifications. A "Bare bow"
Boy was I wrong!