Author Topic: splices with gorilla glue  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

splices with gorilla glue
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:19:30 pm »
Has anyone tried to splice two billets together using gorilla glue? It seems like it would work well

Offline Springbuck

Re: splices with gorilla glue
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 02:47:54 pm »
  Gorilla glue is incredibly strong, but has one flaw.  It foams up while cuiring.

I used it for laminating bows in my early years, and it worked, but the glue line had to be PERFECT, and the clamps had to be really tight and close together. The foaming results in any tiny gap pressing apart, and the foam will break down under flexing.  Any glue line that is anything thicker than almost invisibly thin, hairline, will fail over time when flexed a lot.

For a splice, I would say yes, use it. Just do your best work with the tools, and really get the splice flush.   Then make sure no part of the splice is in the bending limb.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:45:42 pm »
Gorilla glue is not suitable for any bow application, this is the voice of experience talking.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:57:58 pm »
Gorilla makes more than one kind of glue now. If it's the foamy one you're referring to I would shy away from it for splices. I've never tried it but if glue is the only thing between me and a smack in the head or bag I'm going to use the best epoxy I can get.

+1 or 2 with Eric and SB.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:43 pm »
what about titebond 2?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:06:25 pm »
Titebond ll might work, the only time I spliced anything I used a 2 part epoxy then wrapped the handle with cordage. Its lasted 10 years.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:25 pm »
I strongly agree with everyone else about the foaming type. I will never use it again!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Drewster

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:38 pm »
I use Titebond II for many jobs but I would not trust it for a handle splice.  Titebond II is designed to use where you have good mating surfaces and it does not have any gap filling capabilities to the best of my knowledge.

Through a boat building supplier, I found West System epoxy - G/flex.  Their adhesive expert recommended it once I described the application.  I'm very careful cutting my Z splices, but even then there are small gaps.  The G/flex has a small percentage of filler and is designed to use in that type application.  It has worked exceptionally well and I highly recommend it for splicing bow handles.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 12:10:08 am »
I use West Systems 105 resin and 205 hardener with a bit of Cabosil thickener. It's worked on two bows so far but they were both less than 40#.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 02:33:32 am »
Say no to the marketing hype!!!!
Gorilla glue is ok  but not for a splice...
West systems G flex is very good. Resourcinol is also superb for splices.
If you are looking for more gap filling properties you can add silica to most epoxies.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:41:21 am »
Ok thanks guys!

Offline nlester

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:57:02 am »
I'm by no means an expert, but I just spliced some billets together and used a 2-part JB Weld epoxy.  It seem to work well.  Good luck

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 12:30:42 pm »
I have some gorilla wood glue I use occasionally. It's pretty much just carpenters glue. I only used it for cherry backing and string nocks.

I wanted to know more about wood glues.
Here's a link: https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue.html

Titebond 3 scored very well and the glue has a long shelf life. I've never heard of weldbond. I like the idea of a little flex in the glue. IMO most (store-bought) epoxy is too brittle to use, and oily woods won't bond well with epoxy.

The normal gorilla glue seems completly useless for bow-making. The epoxy scored low, but the author mentioned it may have not cured completely.

I'm sure if you hunt down an industrial grade epoxy or glue it will work great. I remember a thread on here mentioning "Tite-chair" as being great for small cracks.

I am going to pick up some titebond 3.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 12:49:21 pm »
I splice a lot, infact most of the staves I use are spliced. Devcon 2-ton 30 minute set epoxy, do not use 5-minute. You must mix very well, never had a problem. The quicker the set time, the weaker the epoxy.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »
Vinemaple is dead on about the quick set epoxies.
Smooth on is another really good epoxy for splices.
Treeninja - If you want to know about any glue just email the manufacturer for the datasheet.