Author Topic: old sinew or new?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline smoke

old sinew or new?
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:04:18 am »
Folks, last year I backed a bow with some sinew I got on a trade.  It felt somewhat brittle and looked old so I soaked it in water for a day before I applied.  Last night I worked with some sinew I collected from a deer a few months ago.  The new sinew seemed to be much easier to work with and created a much smoother backing.  Have any of you witnessed a difference in performance?  Just want to know thoughts before I decide to sinew my next bow.  Thanks much,

Offline PatM

Re: old sinew or new?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:35:48 am »
The belief seems to be that long curing time is beneficial for sinew performance it just usually takes place on the bow.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:07:29 am »
I agree with Pat. I definitely prefer to process and use fresh sinew, but as it cures it gets better and better at doing what it does best. A 10 year old sinew-backed bow will be a monster. That same sinew-backed bow one month after the backing was applied might be impressive, but not to the degree it will be years later.

Just my opinion though.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:09:08 am »
As an addendum to my post moments ago, it's been my experience that among other physical changes, sinew becomes less willing and able to absorb moisture as it ages. So a young sinew backing will be much less resistant to moisture than a 10 year old backing. And dried sinew that's years old will be harder to rehydrate and use than sinew cut fresh from a carcass, or recently cleaned and dried.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 11:11:57 am »
I don't have any 10 year old sinew backed bows, 3 years is my oldest. None of mine have changed a bit. Not their shape, poundage or performance. They all feel the same as the day I finished them. Not saying Eric is crazy, just saying mine haven't changed a bit. None ever made any cracking or popping sounds either. You wouldn't even know they have 3 or 4 layers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:16:46 am »
Don't you use back sinew though?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:40 am »
I did on all but my very first sinew backing Pat, it was from leg tendons. Not disagreeing with anybody, just adding my experiences with my bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:05:54 pm »
I use back sinew almost exclusively, so it's not a leg vs back thing.

When I used the term 'monster' it was a bit of hyperbole. I didn't mean to imply that draw weight doubles or triples, just that it increases noticeably over the first few years of the bow's life, perhaps by 5 or 10 pounds depending on a variety of factors. Years ago I went through a phase where I was making a lot of short, sinew-backed bows. I'm sad to say I don't have any of these old sinew-backed shorties to test their draw weight again.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:22 pm »
I've got a sinew backed bow made in 1956 by L. Stemller, sinew is about a 1/4" thick, except at the handle where he built it up and put in finger grips on the back, it is  marked as 45@28" and still pulls the same, i've shot the bow several times and it is on the slow end of the scale, it also has large antler overlays for the tips.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:08:25 pm »
I do have a couple of bows 10 years and older(one about 20),, but they are not really well made,, they shoot pretty good and have not gone up in weight,, when I made the bows in a more humid climate,, they did go up in weight after a few months but settled in,, they may be more resistant to moisture as stated,,  back then I did not know how to induce the reflex using the least amount of sinew,, so the performance is average,,, I have some osage bows that have seemed to go up in weight, but maybe I am just getting older  :) :) :) I live in new mexico now so making a sinew bow is much easier in the dry climate,, I am working on a bow with long leg sinew from elk, and it was pretty fresh and easy to process and went on very smooth,,the easiest I have ever had,, so there has to be some difference in fresh and old,, but I dont have a clue which one would preform the best,,

Offline smoke

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »
Thanks guys - helpful as always!