Author Topic: pheasant feather backed Osage bow  (Read 21070 times)

Offline Josh B

pheasant feather backed Osage bow
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:48:42 pm »
This is my daughter's new Osage bow.  I'm backing it with ditch chicken(pheasant) feathers and can't decide what color of leather to do the grip wrap with.  These feathers have every color possible depending on how you turn the bow to the light.  The predominant colors are Brown to reddish brown.  I have burgundy leather with me, but I have black, beige, tan and Brown at home.  If it makes a difference, the string is pink, black and white to match her arrows.  What say you?  Josh
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:31:35 am by Gun Doc »

Offline DC

Re: need some opinions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »
Wow! I'm no good with colors so I'm no help there but WOW

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:08:42 pm »
I would ask your daughter.  But since you asked me, I would say black.  It compliments the feathers and ties in the string.  But that's just my opinion

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:09:31 pm »
Black!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:12:07 pm »
first off, beautiful job. never seen anyone use feathers that way before, points for originality and skill. On the subject of the leather, (just my two cents of course) I think a nice russet brown or a muted burgundy would be nice, something like this:

of course you could always ask your daughter, unless it is intended to be a surprise.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:13:25 pm »
Black is my fav color for a grip, regardless of other accents. It ties in nicely with the string and arrow pass. It also doesn't get all grubby with use.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:32:19 pm »
If it was me I'd use a dark burgundy, but black would also be a good choice too, i think you need some contrast, wrap what you have around the grip and step back and see what you think thats what i do, that or ask my wife to pick between two if i cant make up my mind lace burgandy with black or vice versa
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:37 pm »
another thought that just occurred to me is that a contrasting border would look nice. maybe a burgundy center with black around the edges and by the lacing? just spilling my thoughts.
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 03:37:07 pm »
 Wow, never seen that before, looks really cool.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:34 pm »
That's a beautiful bow.  I think black would tie it all together nicely.  What are the overlays?  Would it be possible to use that material (or color) for a strike plate or something? 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 03:43:10 pm »
Looks sharp. Very original. I say black.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 03:59:08 pm »
Bonus points if you can get something in the iridescent green of a pheasant's neck.

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 04:01:48 pm »
Black

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 04:02:27 pm »
 For PatM: this stuff on a white leather, then glass the hide:

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 04:11:42 pm »
Being as how ya asked....for your daughter I'd say the burgandy would be very appropriate. Ya got good taste Mr. Doc go with your instincts,  8) 8) 8)      Besides what's a bunch of old arrow flingin fools like me know anyways
rich