Author Topic: Nobody on here will be stuck in a survival situation...  (Read 18648 times)

Harrifer

Nobody on here will be stuck in a survival situation...
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:59:54 am »
...that's sods law for you!

No neccessarily true, but the title hooked you, didnt it? Anyone ever HAD to use any primitive skills?

Offline Radon

• European
Re: Nobody on here will be stuck in a survival situation...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:40:24 am »
Well, not really a survival siuation but on the other hand...?:

I was doing some trekking/canyoning with my girlfriend when her trekking sandals obviously didn't like the water and fell apart. I tried to fix them with some first aid bandage (no survival situation there yet).
After a while she got fed up with the bandage soaking full with water and slipping away all the time. But I had tied them very well and had neither a knive nor scissors around. So I quickly chopped a stone to get a sharp enough blade to release her from the bandage.
A pissed off girlfriend in the middle of the wilderness might easy enough lead to a survival situation  ::) >:D
 >:( for the rest of the walk she wore my sandals and I walked barefeet  >:(

Radon
Dresden - Germany

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:14 pm »
One time i was out hunting about 8 miles from anything, and i got my front tire stuck on a log, i could not back up or go fowred i was stuck.. i had no axe and no saw and no jack. i was stuck..
 neather myself or my hunting buddy smoke so we had no matches or lighter, it was wet and cold out and we had about 2 1/2 hours before sundown so we went to look for fire makein mistrials i found a Mullen stalk and a a dead creeper vine, i used my  knife to make the hearth and spindle , my Buddy came back with a wad of shredded cider bark.
 So i started spinning away i got smoke but no coal i tyred until i was exusted. i had all but given up when i went to the back of my blazer to get some water and seen my jumper cables "WAha!" i said we started the blazer and attached the cables and put the cider bark under a well placed pile of sticks and i touched the cables together under the cider bark. POP snap Crack SPARK.. and than Flames!!! We were victorious we had fire, we moved the fire under the log that the blazer was stuck on and burned through it during the night, and we ate the Turkey my Buddy had shot earlier that day, we hunted the next morning and drove away around noon.
Mililani Hawaii

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:11:08 pm »
Anybody fool enough to go "canyoning" "whaever that is" while wearing sandals deserves to find himself in a p-ed off girlfriend situation! :D
 I'm about to wet myself laughin here !
 WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A CANYONING SANDAL?
 Is that like an assault pillow or maybe an attack trained Guppy?
 Sorry to get off topic here.
 No I've never been in a survival situation where I needed to use primitive skills I'd learned. Hope to some day! ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:49:30 pm »
  When my son and I were fishing one morning after hiking up the river about 2 miles, we heard a strange noise. It turned out to be rain hitting the trees and cabbage palms about a mile away. We had a dense overhead canopy, so really couldn't tell it was going to rain. It didn't take long to figure out when the first bolt of lightning hit and then relized what the noise was.
    I always carry a pair of clippers, for pruning bushes with me. Well we started cutting cabbage palm limbs and started building a big lean too against a massive oak tree trunk. It took about twenty minutes and we were inside when the big squall line hit.While we were inside we amused ourselves by tying all the leaves together. The storm lasted about 2 hours but we came out of it nice and dry. I always wondered what somebody thought when they walked down the river and found that hut.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Tom B

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 08:05:58 am »
If the hut's still there i might be needing a place to live soon.and on the river too.cool.too bad cabbage gives me gas. :)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:37:50 am »
Living in a hut with Tom after he's been eating cabbage would definitely qualify as a survival situation.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 08:44:14 pm »
   Got turned around in a snow storm ( Hunting elk in january) one time and wandered around in the Montana mountains for a couple of days and nights,10 to 30 below,3 foot of snow,finally walked out by taking a line,landmark to landmark to a cabin I saw many miles away from the top of a mountain.Made it thru one of the worst deadfall hells I've ever seen by following the trail of a couple of elk that went thru it,they were walking on logs and such, so I did too, worked good.This was in the middle of the night mind you,three qaurter moon put out enough light to navigate by.I learned that keeping your head and not giving up is the biggest tools you've got in your kit of skills. I had three hard candies in my pocket for rations.No water,no heavy coat. Got to that cabin at around midnight,Park county coroner answered the door,(he was coordinating the search for my body the next day).My clothes and boots were frozen to me, I did'nt get frostbit,but my core temp was so low that he could'nt get a temp with a oral thermometer(I passed on having the other kind used).Took three days for any moisture to make it to my bladder(Drank gallons of water),feet and ankles were sore and swollen for a week because of all the nearly non-stop walking I did to stay warm and make my way out. Lesson learned,never walk away from the truck(I don't care how hot a track you take up) without a fanny pack loaded with the essentials strapped on.That was back in the early 90's and I am still awandering the wild country.Me, my weapons and my pack. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

jamie

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 01:55:52 pm »
hit ice and fell into a 50' ravine this season. cloudy night with a quarter moon. when i fell i lost the flashlight. was only a few hours but i closed my eyes to protect them and used my nose, ears and my feet to feel my way out stopping everynow and then to open the eyes and try to get my bearings. ive also spent a week here and there walking into the woods with my knife just for the thrill. havent done it in a while though.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 11:50:20 pm »
just a knife. thats awesome jamie.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 12:05:04 pm »
I spent six months in the bitterroot Selway Wilderness.. just me ,my dog , bow ,and a backpack ... lived off the land and saw a LOT of country... one of the most spiritual and rewarding moments of my life... Mike...A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

jamie

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »
its amazing what happens to a person out there aint it mike

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »
Couple months ago there was an article in Field & Stream, "Would You Survive?". They had some guy with a stern look, heavy camo, and a really modern looking rifle on the cover. He wandered around for three days with a GPS and Compass, burning his hunting bags, wasting matches and lighters, melting snow in a plastic container, and refuisnging to shoot a squirrel because, "he wasn't that hungry yet". He was hunting elk, much like Frank. He didn't react half as well. The whole article distgusted me, and their follow up "survival" pages were almost as bad. Made me wonder what the guys on here would do. Glad to see that I was right in assuming that this is home to the "better-than-average-woodsmen" ;D.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 08:49:15 pm »
Jamie, you are absolutely right.. the first month was hard, but after that it wasn't survival anymore... I was just living ......Mike A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:01:44 pm »
Kegan, i know what your sayin about those magazines. They think they need all that tech. just to survive a few days.
Modern Day Tramp